Coffee Bean Pillar and Votives

Candlelovr

OK6228, scented Cappaccino Hazelnut...I love these!!!

I didnt poke relief holes in these, I hope they're not hollow inside! They're just for me anyway, not to burn cause they're too pretty!! The next one I make, I will be sure to do relief holes and a repour!! Thanks for looking!

post-917-13945837971_thumb.jpg

post-917-139458379712_thumb.jpg

I love the look. However, take care if those are real beans. They are flammable. Made one with the outershell of hard 160 mp wax (where the beans were) and poured soft wax into the middle. One of the beans still got away and started to smoke badly (very smelly). Some people do it like your pillar and don't wick the part where the beans are.

you can get wax embeds....that look like real coffee beans, if those are real, and make your candle the same way, just put the wax coffee beans in there so they will melt along with the wax when burned. =)

Laura

The wick that is in there, Im not planning on keeping in it. For now, its for show so I just stuck one in there. If I decide to burn it, I will use one of those thingys on the end of the wick so that it stops burning at a certain point, I forget what they are called tho.

A wick tab will not solve the problem. Your beans will become open to the flame long before a wick tab will come into play. It really isn't wise to use real coffee beans in a candle that is designed to burn completely. Especially like a votive. Your best bet, as suggested, would be wax embeds.

I think they look pretty good the only peice of advice I would give is to use a heat gun to melt the wax around the beans a little more so they show up better. I like them. good job.

Exactly my thought when I 1st saw the pix. I would de-mold the candle & then apply the heat gun. However, as other ppl have noted, maybe not the best idea for a votive if you end up burning it.

Good luck with it. I like what you've done!

Bummer!!! Never thought it was a bad thing to use real beans. I've seen these kinds of candles at the store and thought they had used real beans. Ok, so how do I come up with a coffee bean mold? I just searched the internet and didnt come up with anything!

Geez, Im super bummed now! :(

Janet from Creative Gem Molds made a coffee bean mold for me last year. Didn't take pictures but it works well. Haven't made many because you sure have to make alot of wax beans.

Really glad you brought this topic up. It helps everyone to know these things.

A wick tab will not solve the problem. Your beans will become open to the flame long before a wick tab will come into play. It really isn't wise to use real coffee beans in a candle that is designed to burn completely. Especially like a votive. Your best bet, as suggested, would be wax embeds.

My thoughts exactly. Those votives, although cute, pose a real problem.

e

Y'all are no fun. Always talking about NOT setting sh*t on fire, blah, blah, blah. I'm gonna get a clay pot from the florist and make me a filled votive with embedded wooden matchsticks. That'll be a good one for the gallery!

TopofMurray "Pyromaniac" Hill

Add a few firecrackers and use a sparkler for the wick :yay:

Y'all are no fun. Always talking about NOT setting sh*t on fire, blah, blah, blah. I'm gonna get a clay pot from the florist and make me a filled votive with embedded wooden matchsticks. That'll be a good one for the gallery!

What a great idea:yay: Last year when I gave my SIL candle burning instructions with her Christmas candle, she said, "for gods sake its just a damn candle":mad: I decided not to give her anymore candles, but now I think I'd like to give her this one. That probably would change her mind.

Psssst, Top, keep your doors locked and your blinds drawn. Hide your stuff. The Candle Police are on their way over.

e