Expiration date for b/b items?

southernscents

I bought some vanilla black raspberry buttercream from a lady at a craft show I attended last weekend and when I got it home got to reading on the label it said discard after expiration date. It was 2/06. I have bought from Bath & Body Works, Avon, etc. and none of their products had an expiration date that I knew of.

Is this really true?

I am wanting to learn to make body lotion, shower gel, body spray and bubble bath, so do I have to have an expiration date also? :undecided

She did list ingredients. Don't mind my spelling.

Water, grapeseed oil, emulsifying wax NF, sunflower oil, stearic acid, mango butter, glycerin, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, dimethicone, perservative big word in (), fragrance.

She probably dated it cuz it was mostly grapeseed oil, which has a short shelf life. Preservatives kill the nasties, but don't necessarily keep rancidity at bay.

Anything with water and no preservative, if you're brave enough to sell it :) should have an expiration date and warnings to keep in refrigerator.