sorry another palm question

I am stuck between wicks right now for the feather palm. LX 22 is too small and LX 24 is way too big of a flame. I finally get these things out of the mold and now I can't get the wicks right at all. You'd think I would give up by now. If anyone knows of a wick from a different wick line that would burn in between a 22 and 24 please let me know. Thanks.

Since you are mentioning flame height as a problem you should know that the LX wicks on the higher end of the line have a higher flame height which you'll see in palm and paraffin waxes (but it lowers in soy). That doesn't mean though that the 24 is too large of a wick. If its flickering like crazy and throwing smoke then switch to the RRD series - (between 40 and 50 - try a 47 first), the 47 and 50 should get you close to an LX24 but with a smaller flame that you want while keeping the NST2 treatment of the higher LX (24 and above) wicks.

The flame doesn't flicker, it is pretty nice looking and steady, only it is about 3" tall. I think I tried some RRDs before and they didn't burn out to the side enough. They just burned straight down. I will try them again. What about the square braids or hemp, have you ever tried any other lines besides LX and RRD?

I've tried some RRDs just once and they produced an uneven shell for me. It could be that I just didn't let them burn down enough - it does seem like they are the wick of choice for palm waxes so you may want to give them a try again. This time wick up AND down just one size from where you were before. Sometimes wicking down will give you a better burn than wicking up because the wick won't tunnel as much.

Don't bother with the braids - they don't do so good in palm waxes IMO - see http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1109546860;start= . You can see calicagta got good results with hemp, Kerry with HTPs, and Carrie did have good luck with the braids. Vickey mentioned adding vybar will help - I haven't tried that, but if I ever make any more of these I probably will.