Melt Pool - Wick size HELP

UNREAL!! :undecided I made a whole new candle yesterday and dropped the FO (JackFrost) down to 6% thinking this would solve the problem. Today, I used a CD18 to see if it would burn and the flame was too weak. So I replaced the wick with a CD20 and it seemed fine at first BUT within the hour, the flame is weak and drowning out. I can't believe it! I have other tins with other scents that are burning fine...so I know it's not the wax.

Maybe that does tell you something. If the wick were clogging, then decreasing the FO by 33% should at least have made some difference. If it didn't then the chemical treatment of your wick might not be right to deal with the wax & FO combo, so it's overtrimming. I'd set my sights on CDN, RRD NST 2 and LX NST 2.

Maybe that does tell you something. If the wick were clogging, then decreasing the FO by 33% should at least have made some difference. If it didn't then the chemical treatment of your wick might not be right to deal with the wax & FO combo, so it's overtrimming. I'd set my sights on CDN, RRD NST 2 and LX NST 2.

I agree with Top, At least Tiz, you have narrowed down your problem!!!:cheesy2:

That's the good thing!!!

Hey Top... What's up with the signature??

Heroin Lyrics --- By Velvet Underground

I'd set my sights on CDN, RRD NST 2 and LX NST 2.

I'm eyeballing the RRD's. :naughty: I just wish it didn't take a week to recieve the order.

I hesitate to test with the Premier 700 series as they are hard to find in packs of less than 1,000. Um...so I won't. :tiptoe:

Thanks, all. Looks like I wait for an order of wicks to come in the mail. This testing is like a soap opera....I wish I didn't have to wait for the next episode.

Thanks, all. Looks like I wait for an order of wicks to come in the mail. This testing is like a soap opera....I wish I didn't have to wait for the next episode.

If you are lucky like me, you'll get your order, replace you wick and then have to wait a day or two besides for your wax to set again. And from what it sounds like I'll have to order a new wick again for my jars. (Changing sizes, changing brands, it's great fun)!!!

But at least when you get your things in the mail it feels like Xmas (almost like being a kid again). At least for me it does! :)

GL ~ I hope it all works out in the end. ~~Kelly~~

I'm eyeballing the RRD's. :naughty: I just wish it didn't take a week to recieve the order.

I hesitate to test with the Premier 700 series as they are hard to find in packs of less than 1,000. Um...so I won't. :tiptoe:

I was just going to offer to send you some RRD's as I have quite a few of them in various sizes, thought you would get it faster then waiting for your order but then I just looked at your location and realized you were in CA :shocked2: Would probably take just as long to get them considering I'm in FL :tiptoe:

After agonizing over the FO load and wondering why NO wick was working (ECO's, CD's RRD's...and about to try the LX line).......I made another candle with the same FO load (6%) I was using before but with a different color (Blue). I made an Aqua colored candle using a lesser amount of FO (5%). Using a CD20 in the Blue candle, it's working like a charm. Using a CD22 in the Aqua (because a 20 was drowning out), still isn't going so well. I'm amazed that the Aqua dye chip (Reddig-Glo) was causing the wicking problem. Has anyone ever had these issues with particular dye chips?

Here's photo of Blue (Jack Frost 6% FO) with CD20 wick compared to Aqua (Jack Frost 5% FO) with CD22 wick:

post-4322-139458413921_thumb.jpg

before now. I would have told you to try one with a different color. I had the same thing happen to me with a Salmon dye chip, and almost went nuts trying to figure out what was wrong. It seems some of the chips have a really nasty habit of clogging wicks. I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner, and didn't help faster. SEP

I have just been going through similar issues!

I use 100% soy and after test after test I came to these conclusions:

color DEFINATELY affects burn rate. I had all my scents and wicks perfectly burning. Then I added some colors to a few of the candles and the wicks never reached full diameter. I freaked.

ECO always drown in my candles. I use various brands, Peaks, MC, NG, BCN. ECO never worked no matter how high I went.

I use RRD 47 for my uncolored but try to explain this...I went up to a RRD 55 to try and tackle the slower burn with the color issue and it burned worse than the 47. I got a huge mushroom and no more diameter than the 47. How frustrating is that?

On the other hand, my hemp testing is showing that an 838 hemp that is supposed to be for votives will go full diameter in uncolored 3 inch! I am waiting for the larger size to test in my reluctant color candles.

LX, HTP no matter what sizes I tested, all drowned on me.

One other thing, when I initially tested the 47's RRD and they burned perfectly, it was warm outside. Now the cold has come and it is killing my burn. Three degrees akes a huge difference in reaching full melt pool. Annoying yes. So that's another thing to keep in mind, what is the temp of your house?

Crazy that we have so much to consider.

My advice is to test things independently, colors, oils, wicks so you know how they behave. Then if you know a color slows down a burn, and you know wick so and so works well in slower burning wax, then you have solutions and it will help u feel more in control. I know I get frustrated. I just got a bunch of naughty FO that I am trying to tame. ;)

Good luck!

Ilona

• 4 weeks later...

Tizi and all,

The PREMIER 700 series are now available in numerous places for less than 1000.

They can be found at:

soycandle.com

thenaturalartisan.com (not yet on website but they're there!)

Aztec - candlesupplies.com

villagecraftandcandle.com (in Canada)

or if you contact the people at wickit.net they can tell you where they are available in quantities of less than 1000.

If you have trouble finding them on their websites give a call b/c these places do have them available. :yay:

• 14 years later...