Green Layered Rustic

Mozzie

This is a candle that I originally made for my Sister's birthday but I didn't manage to get the green's the right colour so I'm keeping it for myself. It's scented with Lime and Lemongrass EOs. The centre was supposed to be white but the Lemongrass EO I added turned it yellow. If anyone would like to share how they test colours I'd love to know. What's in the pot looks nothing like the final product. :cry2:

post-592-139458379681_thumb.jpg

After I add color to my melted wax, I take a chop stick (you can use about anything) and put a blob of it on white wax paper. When this blob dries, it is what your final color will look like. You can add colors and to adjust it until you get it just right.

I don't think it looks bad even though not what you intended. I think it is o.k. I also drop a couple drops on white paper. But I thought after you added the scent you couldn't add more color. I think once the scent goes in you got what you got. So if the Fo changes the color I guess you are stuck with it. Still pretty though.

After I add color to my melted wax, I take a chop stick (you can use about anything) and put a blob of it on white wax paper. When this blob dries, it is what your final color will look like. You can add colors and to adjust it until you get it just right.

How big a blob? I've tried putting a few drops on paper but all it does is look translucent and is no real indicator to the final result.

OH...I like your green. Green is the color of the day for me today....my wax is melting. It seems that mine don't come out as planned, but sometimes surprises are good. I save all of my white yoghurt and little margerine tubs. I put about an inch or a little less and put it in the freezer. They pop out. I bought some little white cups at Walmart a couple of weeks ago thinking that now I have a huge supply of little white cups....wrong...they melted right through...guess they are cups for the grandchildren. My old ones worked fine. I am on a mission now to find some little cups that will stand up to heat. I haven't been eating as much yoghurt as I used to. Donita

I love the colors, especially the green. What tone of green are you using?

Just started off with a block of lime green dye - that's the second layer. The first and last layers are the same dye with brown and yellow added. I'll never be able to make it again because it's just scraping bits off the block. For colours I want to reproduce I use dye chips and record how much of each chips I use. The scrapings off the colour block are too light to register on my scale so I only use them if I don't intend to reproduce the colour again. HTH but I doubt it. LOL

I don't think it looks bad even though not what you intended. I think it is o.k. I also drop a couple drops on white paper. But I thought after you added the scent you couldn't add more color. I think once the scent goes in you got what you got. So if the Fo changes the color I guess you are stuck with it. Still pretty though.

Yes, you can still ad more color after the FO. There are many of us that add all color after the FO, especially if it's a hard to mix one and need to be able to see that it's thoroughly mixed ;)

I probably should use a white dish to test on, but I don't. I use a teaspoon. Not only will the hard wax affect the color, how thick your test patch is will also. A thin layer is likely to be lighter than a solid candle. I just blow on the spoon it skims over good then dunk it in water and dry the top off. It's solid but not hard. Since it's still a bit soft, you can push it off the spoon. Give the chunk a few more minutes to finish hardening and see the end color. Then drop it back in the pot :)

Just started off with a block of lime green dye - that's the second layer. The first and last layers are the same dye with brown and yellow added. I'll never be able to make it again because it's just scraping bits off the block. For colours I want to reproduce I use dye chips and record how much of each chips I use. The scrapings off the colour block are too light to register on my scale so I only use them if I don't intend to reproduce the colour again. HTH but I doubt it. LOL

That's why it looks so nice and special. Great job!

:yay:I like the way it turned out and would still have given it to my sister. I test my colours by putting some wax into a small aluminium muffin tin, about 1 cm deep. I then put the muffin tin in a glass of cold water (it floats) and it sets very quickly. So far I've found this to be the most accurate test, as everything else I've tried doesn't seem to represent the finished colour as well.