confused about ultramarines, oxides and micas...

ignitethesenses

What exactly are these? Do they contain dyes to get that color?

I'm trying to stay away from synthetic dyes and only use colorant from nature. These have such pretty colors! I'd love to be able to use them, but I just don't understand exactly what they are. I tried using beet root powder - the instructions said it can be added directly to soap...well, it certainly can, if you're going for the poo look LOL It was truly ugly soap, I'll have to post some pics ;)

They used to be found in nature. Most are created in labs now, because of lead amoung other unwanted minerals. They are just purer now, and less pricey. I understand your want for using only natural colorants, as I try to do the same. My solution was to have 2 different lines. One that uses fo's and oxides, micas etc. The other uses only natural colorants and eo's.

HTH

They used to be found in nature. Most are created in labs now, because of lead amoung other unwanted minerals. They are just purer now, and less pricey. I understand your want for using only natural colorants, as I try to do the same. My solution was to have 2 different lines. One that uses fo's and oxides, micas etc. The other uses only natural colorants and eo's.

HTH

Sorry to hijack this thread but just wanted to ask Amanda which one of your lines of soaps sell better? Do you have to price differently because of the difference in the price for ingredients or is the price difference not that great? I've priced EOs (and bought a few) and they can be quite costly. I've thought about doing the same thing with my soaps and my candles since I use soy. TIA!:smiley2:

Sorry to hijack this thread but just wanted to ask Amanda which one of your lines of soaps sell better? Do you have to price differently because of the difference in the price for ingredients or is the price difference not that great? I've priced EOs (and bought a few) and they can be quite costly. I've thought about doing the same thing with my soaps and my candles since I use soy. TIA!:smiley2:

I am not sure which one sells better b/c I just started the second one. There are a lot of eo's that are no more costly than some fo's, have you tried http://www.essentialoils.org/ They have really good prices. Oh, and yes the eo line is priced at $1 more for the same size. Not really b/c of cost as much as effort. I have spent a lot of time researching eo's and nat. colorants. A lot more thought goes into one of those batches as opposed to slaping some fo in and a color that matches the name. HTH

Thanks Amanda. :) I have been doing my research first before venturing into the use of EO's in my candles and B&B. ;) I do have the link you provided bookmarked and have used a few EOs such as lavender, litsea, and tangerine. So far I haven't been too impressed with those in soap as the scent didn't last. It could be too that I didn't use enough - I was trying to be conservative and just was testing for how the EOs were going to behave. :undecided I haven't yet put any EOs into my candles though.