Wicks

Hi,

I am new here, I have been making cnadles for a few months and have now started trying to make some jars. i am trying to make a 15 ounce honey pot jar and I am using a C85 wick. I am finding that it is leaving alot of wax on the side of the jar and not burning down evenly or smoothly. Does anyone know what is a better wick to try for this type of jar the width is about 4 inches.

Thanks

Everything about candle making really does come down to personal preference. What one person likes, another doesn't. As noted on another thread, there are so many factors affecting the burn of a candle - humidity, ambient temp, candle ingredients, etc, that what works well in one region might not work well in another region.

As much as I hate to say it, you really have to try different wicks to see what works best for the type of candles you make. In other words, test, test, test.

When it comes to wicking, the one strategy that I have come to appreciate the most is using wick pins for pillars and poking a wick hole in containers. These methods allows you to remove wicks that aren't working well & inserting a new wick, either "wicking up" (using a larger wick) or "wicking down" (using a smaller wick) or even using a different wick type all together.

For your current project, it sounds like you need to wick up. However, sometimes it takes a few burns for the hanging wax to catch up w/ the rest of the candle. So, I need to ask about your test burns - how many have you done? For how long?

I highly recommend buying several of Peak's wick sample packs to find out for yourself which wicks work best for you.

Lastly, you might want to consider double wicking that 4" diameter jar. I have a hard time w/ containers that are larger than 3".

You didn't say the type of wax you're using (some are harder to wick and of course soy requires a larger wick) but I'd definitely double wick with something like 2 HTP 73's, 2 51Z's (or 2 low smoke zinc 21s) or maybe 2 CD6's or CD7's.

DanaE