Wick pin user ?

Dee

Don't think I've seen this question asked before so I hope its not only me that has this problem:rolleyes2 . When I use wick pins in test pillars and the wick hole is always larger in circumference than the wick. I prime the wicks before inserting them. When I light the candle, the wick dies almost right down and then kind of flares up again when it catches some fuel (wax) and starts burning. This is ok for me because I know this is going to happen. However, If I bought one and didn't know this I would think the wick is not going to stay lit.

Would like to make several candles with using wick pins instead of just the testers. How do you people that use wick pins solve this problem?

Hey Dee:

I've experienced that problem before too. What I have done is run the wick pin in and out of the hole several times so that it actually gets a little bigger in diameter, then run my wick through. When I do my repour, the wax usually drains down through the hole and fills in the gap. You're left with a little bit of wax that has poured through to the other side, but I wait for it to set up real good and then scrape it off. Sometimes this leaves a small mark where it's been scraped off, sometimes not...it depends on how heavily it's leaked through or how careful I have been scraping it off. Anyway, that's the way I have been dealing with it. Maybe someone else has a better way of handling this....I'd be curious to see what others do.

Fern

Knew there was someone out there:cheesy2:. Thanks Fern, I appreciate your help.

So you take the wick pin out, put the wick in, do your repour, then unmold your candle after the repour sets up, or do you take the candle out of the mold first? I've also used a dropper to put a little clear wax around the hole, waited until it dried and smoothed it off. A little circle form around the wick. Its ok, but not perfect (the way I want it lol:cheesy2: ).

Anyone else have a different trick up their sleeve:grin2: :grin2: ?

Yes...I take the wick pin out...unmold the candle...then run the wick pin in and out of the candle several times...knock out all the crumbs...insert the wick...then do the repour. I like your idea of putting a drop of clear wax near the wick and the hole. It seems easier than what I do.

Yes...I take the wick pin out...unmold the candle...then run the wick pin in and out of the candle several times...knock out all the crumbs...insert the wick...then do the repour. I like your idea of putting a drop of clear wax near the wick and the hole. It seems easier than what I do.

Probably I wont' have to run the pin in and out as the wick hole is usually bigger than the wick. Going to try it your way anyhow:D

I don't ever have that problem when lighting if the wick is trimmed short enough to start with. :)

I always trim them very short or else I find that I get a high flame that has to be trimmed right away anyhow:cheesy2: