Sample Cases didn't keep their scent!!??

I use the watchmaker cases that have the tiny tins in them for samples and I made 91 samples, half of them don't have a scent. I did 3 sets of these and used the wax that I use for my candles. I sent them to my sales rep and she says you can't smell them. I tried mine and wouldn't ya know it, half of them don't smell!! Any ideas?:confused:

Is there something that I could saturate with FO and put in the tins to keep the scent but not look tacky? What about styrofoam, I wonder if that would keep a scent.

I AM SO MAD!!!! :mad: I spent too much time on those and printing the dang labels for them not to work. :cry2:

I used 100% soy wax and Soy/Paraffin blend. It depended on what I was making as to what I used for the samples.

Thanks for any help!!!!

Tracy

(I know, I went smiley crazy):tongue2:

I don't have any great suggestions, I just wanted to sympathize. That really sucks. I have the watchmaker case, just the little one, and have been pouring little samples as I make a batch...I really hope the same thing doesn't happen to me. :undecided

I wish I had a good idea, I'll brainstorm and get back to you if anything pops into my mind.

I have an idea...

What about the Aroma Beads that Bitter Creek sells?

Saturate with FO is exactly what you do with them. When they've fully soaked it up I understand they feel dry, so maybe it'll be nice and neat. Throw in a little dye and it could look great.

Here we go: http://secure.candlesupply.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?queries_index=index7&title_bar=Aroma%20Beads&recordno=1&Product_CatalogID=2152&ProductNumber=aAromaB&ProductCodeID=80&ProductSubCodeID=264&NewProduct=0

I had similar problems with my watchmakers case. I switched to just using tarts in 3 x 4 baggies and putting them in the flat plastic cases that come with fishing tackle boxes. I got a nice soft side tackle box at wal-mart for about $20 that had four plastic boxes and enough room and pockets to hold one of each size of my candles, a few bars of soap and a full size lotion, body butter and sugar scrub. I am much happier with this setup. I love the scent bead idea too although for such a small amount of beads, I have some lying around here somewhere and I never though of them!

I was picturing something like the aroma beads also, I don't necessarily have to have wax in the tins. I think I may do that.

I like the tart idea, but I have 91 scents and I think that would be too crowded, I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. It's worth a shot, though. I especially like carrying the other samples in their as well!!!

I am just so bummed, after all of the work, gone-just gone.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Most likely will try both ideas and see which one works best.

I had also tried the watchmaker tin's for my samples a few years back and they didn't work for me either. The lids were not snug enough and all my scents ended up blending together and they all smelled the same. I tried melting them down and re-pouring new batches but what a PITA. Then they all blend together again. :mad:

I now pour my samples into 3/4 oz plastic solo cups with lids. They look like little jello shots :tongue2:. I put them all into a carrying tote with a handle that I got from Walmart. This has worked great for me and right now I am in the process of making of my 6th full set. This method is very inexpensive and if one of the samples looks tacky or the cup has cracked I just pitch it and make a new sample.

Another tip would be . . .the paraffin waxes will adhere to the inside of the cup where the wax sample would not be loose after cooled, whereas a soy blend will shrink away from the cup after it is cooled and pop out when opened. Either way, this method has worked great for me.

Thought I would share - Brenda

I am soooo glad you posted this. I have been stewing over whether or not I should get those watchmaker cases. I am glad I did not order! I had decided to try to find the itty-bitty spice tins from Wal-Mart that everyone has been talking about (with no luck I might add)

Has anyone tried these or anything similar these seema bit pricey!!!!

http://rochester.hostforweb.net/~candleco/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=5084945.19591*bI8MM3&p_id=1ozslid&xm=on&ppinc=search2

I am soooo glad you posted this. I have been stewing over whether or not I should get those watchmaker cases. I am glad I did not order! I had decided to try to find the itty-bitty spice tins from Wal-Mart that everyone has been talking about (with no luck I might add)

http://rochester.hostforweb.net/~candleco/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=5084945.19591*bI8MM3&p_id=1ozslid&xm=on&ppinc=search2

Those are pricey. Would the small hex jars do the same..aren't those around 1oz. Or are those a bad idea too?

Someone on this board posted this site;

http://getorganizedcandles.com/enter.html (great site)

click on the right side under sample containers

they have little plastic swing top containers and they also have little 1/2-3oz poly cons ( little white containers that the lids stay attached). I was thinking about tring these. Has anyone tried these already and do they hold the frangance??

TIA

When I have a wholesale account nibbling locally, I bring out my Clamshells!

I bring one of every scent and I've got 60 scents.

I tried the 1.5oz hex jars but they're just too small to get the full effect of whaat a pint size jar would smell like. The clamshells are larger but much easier to carry than jelly jars or hex jars. No breakage.:rolleyes2

I wonder why these don't work, though. I mean, if we pour t-lites, the

t-lites hold their scent, why not these?

I am going to try crushed corn cob, scent and put in the tins. Or use a melt. I dunno. I've been promising my rep these and then I fell all accomplished and then I hear that!!! Back to the drawing board!!

Man!!! This really bites!! :lipsrseal

Oh what fun it is to own your own candle company!!!! ;)

Tracy

they have little plastic swing top containers and they also have little 1/2-3oz poly cons ( little white containers that the lids stay attached). I was thinking about tring these. Has anyone tried these already and do they hold the frangance??

TIA

Ok they say poly but not what poly! We need polyprop

www.fillmorecontainer.com has these and they are much cheaper. A friend of mine uses these for her samples and she says they work really well. I will be getting some next week and can let you know how they work out.

Here's the exact link:

http://www.fillmorecontainer.com/product.asp?deptID=3&sku=G02%2D01C&sID=E2HKN6SU8T7P9HR8AGH47FJSLC3RB5A4

Howdie all,

I was gonna post this as a look what I found, but think it might help here. maybe?

This is a bummer about the tins since I have 4 sets coming...But...

On my way down home I stopped into AC MOORE and found this...

I looked at it, put it down, walked away, Came back to it. Did this 3 times. lol I decided I was going to try this for samples.

I don't have a clue if it will work, but man it looks good.:D

It is so compact. It is like carrying a small book. If it works I will get more.

It's called a Craft Mate and it is only 6" wide and 9 1/2" long . It is 2 1/4" thick!!! It has 6 rows of snap close holders on each side and each row holds 7 compartments.Making that a total of 84 compartments ..Each compartment is 3/4" deep.

The compartments snap closed really tight, so I'm thinking they will hold the scent in.

This is so cool..I really hope it works. Plus the nice purple color helps. lol They have bigger 1's but I liked this 1. Nice and small to carry around.

The price was right too. $19.99 And it is a nice soft brushed cover.(kinda like suede.)

Ok, This was in the bead section.

I'm going to start filling this tomorrow.

craft-mate6.jpg

craft-mate4.jpg

TIA

Thant's a nice site, thank you for posting

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let those know that were looking for tiny tins they might want to try these: http://www.creativexpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=cx&Category_Code=organizer-embellish on sale 12/ $2.00:yay:

I posted a pic up above of what I got for samples.

If I can get my head out of my butt, I will take another pic with it filled.

I did wax 1st, but to messy to get in those small openings.

I took Tops suggestion about the aroma beads.

I filled the cavities with aromas beads, then put drops of scent in then a teeny drop of color. Mixed it up right in the cavity.

This is the best part. I then took my heat gun, held it pretty far away and zapped those aroma beads until they started to melt just a bit.

It worked...Doing that made the beads bind together and they won't fall out when the case is opened. And I did this almost right after I got it home.

They all still smell really strong.....HTH

TIA

I use these and they do just fine holding the scent in I made up mine about a year ago and they still smell. I am liking what Moonrose found though Hmmm I may have to change just for convenience.