Having lots of issues....

This ecosoya vb is just not cutting it for me. I cant smell any of the tarts im making with it either. I dont know what the heck is going on. With the tarts, I add the oil now at 175, and pour at 125. Ive let them cure for about 4 days or more before I melt them. I just dont smell anything. UGH! Is soy really this touchy? lol When i made candles in the past they were always paraffin and I never had this much trouble with scent throw. LOL. And these are tarts!! How difficult can it be?? lol. I know im probably annoying you all with the vb issues, i just wonder what the heck im doing wrong. The oils are from bittercreek north, peaks, places like that, so its not that they are low quality. Scents that are strong are not even putting off much for throw, and im using the oils at about 8% for these tarts ive made. I dont get it. Am I missing something?? I think im going to go ahead and switch to a different wax. I just wanted to ask if there is something you all think im just not doing right?? Does soy need to cure a super long time? Im thinking of trying next, the KY pillar/votive wax for votives/tarts. And KY puresoy for containers to test next. I was going to just use up what I have for the vb, and make tarts and some votives but im not getting ANY THROW!! So what do ya think, should I stick it on ebay?? LOL I dont know what to do next, its not working lol.

Laura

I am not sure if this has anything to do with why you are not getting throw, but votive and pillar waxes should be poured hotter than 125. If you decide to switch, KY pillar/votive blend makes great votives and pillars. You have to do a slight repour, as it sinks just a little on the top. But the throw from this wax is awesome. I have tried many container waxes looking for something better, but tried this votive/pillar blend about a year ago and have had no need to switch to anything else.

i poured at 125, because it was recommended to pour at 140, and they crack like crazy when i do. So i poured cooler. Maybe it still needs to be a tad hotter, i dont know. But from what I hear about the ky stuff i think im gonna try that next =) Just wanted to tell you all that im so greatful you are all here to help! Its wonderful for someone who has alot of questions, like me LOL.

Laura

LOL! And next year at this time, you will be on here answer questions for newbies, like you are now. There are many others on here that use the KY Pillar/Votive blend and are very happy with it as well. I have never had any cracking or any other issues with this wax. I have always gotten great votives and pillars from it.

I do use the KY Puresoy. I keep testing others and keep coming back to the Puresoy. I use a little beeswax in it as well and I get pretty nice looking candles. To me it has excellent throw. If you are going to order a sample bag of the Votive Pillar Blend, you should order a bag of the Puresoy as well. Their Soy/Cottonseed Oil blend I believe actually sells better than the Puresoy per Vickey at KY. I think some have said it is easier to work with. I tested it, but really couldn't tell a difference in it and the puresoy. Best of luck and be sure and keep us posted on your testing. :smiley2:

I've used the ecosoya pb for a while now and it seems to do pretty well for scent throw. My distributer recommended not to get the vb. Sometimes my votives smell stronger than my pillars, I don't know why that is though. I ordered the ky pb brand and I felt like it was a little too soft, so now I blend the two waxes. Both had some nice qualities that compliment each other.

I absolutely love the ecosoya vb. The scent throw is awesome and I never experience cracks. No repours/top-offs either.

I heat to 190 because I use pigments for coloring. Then I let it drop down to 140, add FO and stir like a crazy person. :D I then let it sit until the wax drops to a range of 130-135 to pour.

On FO load, it varies by oil. Here's a list of oils that I poured last week and their rate per pound that I used.

Crushed Ginger (Bitter Creek) .5 pp

Hot Apple Pie (Bitter Creek) .5 pp

Star Gazer (Bitter Creek) .75 pp

Bamboo (Wick Your Wax) .5 pp

Blackberry Sage (Peaks) .75 pp

Calming Water (Just Scent) .5 pp

Asian Sandalwood (Peaks) .5 pp

Vanilla Grapefruit (Wick Your Wax) .5 pp

Oriental Rush (Genwax) .5 pp

All of the above throw really well, both hot and cold. If you do end up wanting to get rid of your ecosoya vb, shoot me a PM as I would be interested in taking it off of your hands. :grin2:

*edited for my lousy spelling

im sorry if im kinda slow on the uptake, but what does pp stand for :o

OH and also, do you all think that the temp i heat it to when i melt it makes a difference? Again sorry if im being kinda dumb lol but i just melt the ecosoya vb in a glass measuring pitcher type thing in the microwave cause it said it could be microwaved. Do i need to pay attention to what temp its heating to? I just microwave it til its melted.

Laura

*chuckle* No worries, there are so many acronyms and abbreviations in candlemaking (as well as soapmaking) that I get lost at times as well. :D

pp = per pound (of wax in this case)

Ooopsie, didn't see the bottom half of your post. IMO, I think the temp does make a huge difference. You need to make sure the wax reaches a temperature that will facilitate the bonding of your FO and wax.