Giveaways @ candle parties

Made by me

After hearing from my SIL that everyone from her work loves my candles, I've decided to do a candle party/open house. I don't want anything too formal, or worry about getting more bookings or hostess discounts. I would rather give candles away just for having them there, or if they buy X amount of stuff. But I don't want to go overboard. :o

How much would be good? Keep in mind, these are gals who don't have a lot of money but would love to treat themselves now and then. Also they might be thinking of Christmas gifts.

I'll be selling tarts, votives, tealights, 8oz jars, tart burners, votive holders & air fresheners.

Should I say get a free votive if you spend more than $20? Get a free jar if you spend more than $50? :confused:

I like to give away votives and tarts, that way they can pick different scents that they may want to try later. I give away a free votive with $15 order and a tart 6 pack at the $30+ level. (I let them mix-n-match tarts to try new stuff). I save the bigger stuff for door prizes or prizes for games, such as an 8 oz. candle as a door prize and 4 oz. candles as game prizes. I also use stuff that I need to get rid of as a prize, for example when I switched to different tart warmers I gave my last 2 away as door prizes because I wasn't having too much luck selling them with the newer nicer ones I had.

Guest EMercier

That sounds good, but you don't want to give away too much because it's been my experience that the more you give away, the less they've bought. I didn't like that. I did one home show where I didn't give anything away and I made $1,000 in two hours. It's just I guess give and take. I've thought of giving small samples one like a 1.5 oz hex as well as small bottles of lotions when I do games. I also normally give away one 16 oz mason for a more complex game ( like who can finish the wordsearch first) and smaller stuff, sometimes items that don't sell other places. They don't know.

Also, it might be worth it to get more bookings because that expands your business and it equated to more $$$$. That's only if you want to expand.

I agree with foxhill, I always have a basket with votives and tarts and offer them while I am writing up reciepts, people don't usually take advantage, 2 or 3 votives or tarts each and I alway insist they try a different scent. it is a way to get them to try different scents and people love freebies. I also make soap so I will cut those funny looking unsellable pieces into two inch or so sizes and give those away as well. Now if someone spends 100 or so I become very generous. LOL If there is a hostess I always make them a heart container of their favorite scent as a welcome gift in the beginning and usually charge her wholesale prices on what she purchases. I have tried a lot of different things and find that this works best.