Wick Came Out of Finished Product!!!

Hi Eveyone,

I have a question that I am sure that many of you will be able to answer for me. My mother purchased some votives from Walmart and as I took them out of the box to put them in the holder, THE WICK FELL OUT :confused: !!! Now I am a newbie at making candles, which is why she went to get some from Walmart because I haven't made my first candle yet.

But my question is why would the wick come out and is it supposed to come out of the candle once it has been finished and placed on shelves? Wouldn't that be a real liability issue if something were to happen?

Please explain this to me!

Veronica

I'm sure they were made with wick pins and wicked after they were taken out of the mold. Normally, the hole is small enough that the neck of the wick tabs "grabs" the wax and stay in. Or the warning label on the bottom is sticky enough to hold the wick in.

It really isn't too big of an issue because once you burn it one time, that wick will be stuck. I, personally, wouldn't sell them if the wick fell out, but it wouldn't surprise me that a Walmart votive wick fell out.

Did the wick and tab fall out the bottom, or did the wick pull loose out of the top? If it was the bottom, it's like Georgia said. I've actually seen that happen many times.

If it came out the top, it's something I know I've experienced as have many others here. When you get pretabbed wicks, the tab isn't always crimped on tight enough. Nothing like pouring a beautiful container candle then having the wick come out of the tab when you go to pull it taut :undecided

It's not unusual for that to happen. Back when I sold Party Lite one of their selling features for the votives was you could take the wick out and turn the candle upside down (they had the peaked tops to their votives) and place it in their votive cups that looked like cordial glasses--you all remember them...they were the frosted trio, or something like that.:cheesy2:

Anyway, I don't personally see a problem with a wick coming out of a candle.

Thanks everyone. That freaked me out because I have never seen that before! I put it back in and lit it up. It burned fine but didn't have any type of hot throw :rolleyes2 The cold throw was light but I could at least smell it! :) That's the reason for me starting to make candles so that I don't have to worry about all of that...LOL!

My mother is patiently waiting :) I just finished pouring my first batch ever today!! I can't wait to burn them. I used a kit for it! It smells great! I really have to confess that I am an official candlemaking addict...LOL!!

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Veronica