Using USPS rate calculator - flat rate vs priority rates

7Angela7

I couldn't think of a title to explain what my question was. I use mals-e cart, their premium account and using rate calculators from UPS & USPS. I know approximately how many of which products will fit into a flat rate box, but I can't really tell the cart that. So for now, it's just quoting USPS priority rates which look really high if you were a customer. About 4 jars plus extra little products, such as votives/tarts, etc. will fit in a flat rate, but mals does not have any limitations on it such as the weight. I really do want to offer flat rate, but I'm concerned with paying a whole lot out of my own pocket. For instance, let's say I'm lucky & have a customer who orders 3 jars, 2 pillars, 2 tart burners, and they pay $7.70 for flat rate. Well since those are bulky items, they will not fit in a flat rate box & I'll probably end up paying about $10 out of my own pocket to ship it. I kinda don't like the idea of just putting a message on the site stating that if it fits into a flat-rate box I'll ship that way & refund the difference, because as a customer, I'd be a little skeptical. But right now it seems like that may be the only option. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Thanks!

I've come across stores where they either refund the difference if it fits into a flat rate box, or they don't tell you the grand total until after you've placed your order. While these two methods come up with the most accurate total, I personally don't like them as it's a hassle to both you and the customer.

One way for you to decide on what shipping amount to charge might be to look at where most of your customers live and what is their typical order. If they're mostly on the west coast this may not be an issue as the postal rates only get real high if you're sending something heavy to the east coast.