Monoi de Tahiti Oil question

TexasBrat

• 10 months later...

Brown Monoi? Unscented Monoi?

The stuff I have is white, or slightly off-white. And *very* fragrant. I thought there was a French decree regulating of the use of the name "Monoi de Tahiti"? Check this out:

http://www.monoi-institute.org/definition.php

Editing to add: I just reread your posts and am wondering if what you bought is called "Tiare oil" or "Monoi de Tahiti"? Yes Monoi, the real stuff, is coconut oil infused with Tiare flowers, hence the natural scent.

Monoi de Tahiti - I got it from Felicia at soapersupplies.com for her prebuy. it is clear and quite off-white. Do you think I should contact her over this?

ETA: I showed it to some of my daughter's preschool teachers who love scented stuff and they thought it was a bit sour and nothing good. Hmmmm.

Carol, I just took mine out and poured it into a clear glass. The color is an exact match of the canola oil I use to cook with, but not quite as clear. When it's hardened up though, it's white. No rancid smell whatsoever, just a wonderful, heady floral fragrance. HTH!

The " Monoi" that everyone loves is "Enhanced" The fragrance is not from the "Tiare" blossom.

Some sites and vendors will claim the the good smelling type has been infused twice. That is not the case.

True uncut "Monoi" will be tan/ lt brown from the infusion with the Gardenia blooms and unless the vendor filters it, it will have brown sediment (tiny pieces of the gardenia blossoms)

"Monoi" is prized for the effects it has on the skin. The "regular" and "enhanced" cost the same.

It seems that a lot of people buy it because of the fragrance