The dreaded Cauliflower look is back...

I know this has been discussed in the past and I even went back to the old board and did a search, but I can't see where anyone came up with a definitive answer. All the sudden...I am getting that 'cauliflower look' after burning some of my candles. In some cases it is covering one of my wicks, (I double wick Elevation Jars).

I am wondering if it's my new batch of wax? :confused: I make my own blend of Plain 415, cottonseed oil flakes and beeswax...and the only thing that's changed is a new batch of the Plain 415. Does anyone have any thoughts? Dang...I hate this! Just when I seemed to be getting a handle on things. :undecided

Stacy

Stacy, it could be the batch of wax you have there. Last year some time, there were several bad batches of waxes out there - all from GF, all 100% soy (not blends) but sold under different brand names. There was a huge thread about this on the old board that was all about the problems we were encountering with our wax. Mostly, the problems had to do with wicking. That's the problem with soy in that the crops vary so in turn does the wax after its been processed. Another thought might be if you had added any vybar to your wax - this can sometimes cause this reaction.

Thanks Mo...I knew there was a huge thread on it...but I couldn't find it in a search. I don't add the vybar anymore...it's funny...it doesn't seem to happen with all of them. But I am into my second box of a new batch. I wonder if, because of whatever the issue might be with the soy, that certain fo's are reacting with it? Could that happen? Where's Henryk when ya need him...;) Thanks, Stacy

Not Henry, but an equivalent...many years of using soy. In answer to your question about fragrances and reactions, the answer is YES! Different fragrances can cause different reactions in how the soy waxes perform. There are NO solid answers when it comes to using soy wax. It is a natural product and pretty much has a mind of its own. The variables in how each batch of soy reacts is just how it is...different growing areas, different ways of growing (fertilizers, natural fertilization, etc.). This is the reason so many soy users try to find an additive that will stabilize the soy wax(es)...beeswax, Universal Soy Wax Additive, paraffin, and the list goes on. I have had 6 years of pulling my hair out trying to tackle the soy wax issues; from frosting to the burning of each new batch. I am now working on my own soy blend just because of the above reasons...maybe you should try blending the soy wax with another veggie wax, or some paraffin...this would eliminate alot of your soy issues. HTH

I've been making soy candles for over a year now with the same wax. I have never had a candle 'cauliflower' on me until two days ago. I never really knew what others were talking about until then. It happened with a scrap candle I had made. It was a wickless soy candle that I melted down. I don't add Universal Additive to my wickless candles, because then it takes them longer to melt. Since I was going to reuse the wax in a wicked candle, I heated the wax, which already had french vanilla fragrance oil, to about 180 degrees, added my UA (1 1/2 tsp per lb), let it cool to about 140 degrees and poured it into a 16 oz. glass container with a CDN wick. I test burned the candle for an initial 3 hours. The next day when I looked at the candle it had a big old bloom on the top! I think it looks cool. It reminds me of the science crystal growing kid I got as a kid. There is definitely some kind of funky chemical reaction going on there. I'd like to know if the process can be duplicated with any consistency. I suppose that's as hard to do, as figuring out how NOT to get your candle to bloom.

I want to thank everyone for their input...unfortunately for me I don't embrace the cauliflower as sometimes it makes it hard to find the wick. :(

Remarcha-Thanks for jumping in here...I do a blend of cso flakes and beeswax with my Plain 415, do you happen to know the maximum amount of cso flakes I might be able to add to my mix? Maybe I'm not adding enough...hmmm....more testing. ;) Never thought of this...could a person make a candle solely out of cso flakes? hmmm...again, more testing. Well...I guess I better get off the computer and go start testing.....well, maybe later. :D

Stacy

Thanks Mo...I knew there was a huge thread on it...but I couldn't find it in a search. I don't add the vybar anymore...it's funny...it doesn't seem to happen with all of them. But I am into my second box of a new batch. I wonder if, because of whatever the issue might be with the soy, that certain fo's are reacting with it? Could that happen? Where's Henryk when ya need him...;) Thanks, Stacy

I saw that you didn't list the vybar, but knew that at one time you had been experimenting with it so I thought I'd throw that out there. I also agree it could be the FO. I think too that pouring conditions can affect our wax. I know that when its been really hot here and my little house with no a/c is really cooking inside, I have experienced cauliflower tops with FOs I've used many times with no prior problems and with a batch of wax that I've experienced no problems with. The only thing I could conclude was the weather and how hot it was. :undecided

Because soy is so unstable, I always test the wax with every new batch. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

WOW..Islandgirl...now I've never seen a bubble/bump like that...what might have caused that? My cauliflower look isn't so smooth and pretty as that! ;) Mine actually looks like a bumpy cauliflower...hmmm...

Thanks for posting the pic!

I think like Meridith said...must have been the weather. :( :undecided

Stacy

Are the candles still burning correctly? (Are your wicking properties the same?) Is the scent throw still good? If so, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's just one of the natures of soy....differs from batch to batch, no two are ever alike. Just let your customers know that it's part of loving soy! LOL I've learned to over look things like this as long as the scent still rocks, and my wicking is the same! :)

Does it happen with all your candles or just this scent? I mixed a bunch of scents together one time trying to tweak my apple pie and what I got was a volcano looking candle. Needless to say I didn't mix that blend again. It was the oddest looking thing. I figured it had to do with one of the scents not being compatible with the wax.

I zapped that candle and it burned fine..

That was the first time that my candles "came alive":laugh2: . I have had them, sweat, bubble, califlower, but never grow like that!!! It was weird!! It was also really hot and humid this summer which is what I think did it... All is fine now!!! I have gotten the bubble beast under control!!:D