No more Red Devil...

RobinInOR

It should be cheaper even including the shipping, at least it was from MN to Oregon :) I've saved a bunch of Red Devil bottles, so I transfer some of it to those. Otherwise I've just left it in her 2# bags.

If you're buying big 50# bags from someone, I'd probably try to find a big plastic bucket with a lid - line it with a garbage bag and suit up w/ goggle/gloves to carefully tranfser it. If you've kept any of your smaller bottles, pour some in there for ease of use so you're not always opening your bucket.

I'm going to butt in and post this even though I know nothing about Lye (I found it on another "board")-

"This will have a ripple effect on suppliers as well as us soapers: maybe the bigger suppliers can call also??

I heard this off another list so I called 800-228-4722 the number for

Reckitt-Benckiser, the manufacturer and confirmed it. Whatever is out

there on the shelf is it. They have already stopped making it.

It is IMPERATIVE that you call and lodge a complaint. I had a nice

talk with Customer Service and told them that without Lye there is NO

SOAP! They said that Red Devil Lye did not promote it for soap and

there was no recipe that they had to make soap with. I ask her why

they were destroying the businesses of thousands of soapers by

stopping making it. She said that sales were slow. I EMPHASIZED that

NO LYE; NO SOAP!!!!!! I told her that soap had been made with lye

waaaay before the pioneers did and WE NEED IT so she is going to give

my name and address to TPTB marketing.

She did say that the more soapers who call, the better they will

listen so CALL THEIR 800 NUMBER 1-800-228-4722 and tell them we can't

make soap without lye and there IS NO SUBSTITUTE!!!!"

Not sure if it'll help

The cost of my bars has gone down .04 each now that I'm forced to buy it online :) And I'm buying the same quantity, I was buying by the case before anyway, and that was about 13 pounds.

It is a bummer for those that just want to buy a couple of bottles though.

I'm sure we'll see more suppliers pick up the small amounts, that is if they want to deal with separating and packaging something like this - might be too much a liability for their employees, dunno.

I'm sure we'll see more suppliers pick up the small amounts, that is if they want to deal with separating and packaging something like this - might be too much a liability for their employees, dunno.

I sure hope so! I know I was paying more per lb for my red devil at the hardware store, but it sure was a convenient way for me to get it, especially since I make soap on a small scale and don't need a lot of lye.

The shipping is screwy on her cart. Put the 20# in your cart and get your total with shipping, then add the 10# bucket to it, then take the 10# back out and see if your shipping total doesn't drop below the original amount. May not work,but it did for me; made quite a difference.

Heck yeah it is cheaper. As long as shipping don't kill ya. I'll have to give that a try.

What do you store your lye in when buying bulk? Do you premeasure it all out or put it in a tub...?

I buy cat litter in the big plastic tubs. They have a lid that snaps on, works great.

ETA

I forgot, I did buy the 50lb. I am planning on saving some of my small red devil cans to fill and use, as opposed to getting into the big bucket everytime.

I also wanted to add that I really doubt that calling red devil's company will fix anything. Sales are slow because places are banning it because of meth. Red Devil is not the only company that makes lye, soaping will still survive. Some people will have to just bite the bullet and buy in larger sizes.

Boy I have a hard time paying more for shipping than the product itself.. :undecided

Sub Total $23.95

Shipping $33.53

Total $57.48

Just when I was getting into soaping..

Call her or email. Someone else had the same problem, and she said the shipping isnt that much and she will let you know the correct ammount.