canning jars hot?

I use ecosoya 135 and have used many wicks in these canning jars....the jars just get really hot which makes me nervous. I'm not worried about the jars because I know they can be boiled for long periods of time while canning...but more worried someone will burn a hand trying to pick one up. I'm using preforma 85's now....great clean burn,...but too hot. I have used papercore and they aren't as hot...but leave a ton of white smoke when you blow them out and actually look like still light for about a minute...

Anyone else using 135 want to share their wicking?

Thanks!

From reading your wicking request, I would suggest continuing to wick down until you get to a wick that will give you a nice melt pool, and not make your jar so hot. How deep does the melt pool get using the Performa 85 after around 5 hours of burn? Melt pools should not be more than 1/4" - 1/2" at any given time. Are yours within this range when burning the candle for 5 - 6 hours? I do not use this wax, or the Performa wicks, but do use a soy container wax and wick them with the cotton wicks. I am testing the Fil-Tec Ultra Core wick line right now and am liking them in the soy wax. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but if it were me, I would wick down a bit and see what happens. HTH

Realmarcha

I noticed that you said you are using the Fil-tech ultra core...

I have never heard of them.. but are always looking for new wicks.. can you give me a site to look at ..

You said you are liking them in soy, so how are they performing for you?

Thanks for any info

Cathy

Not Marsha, but Fil-Tec manufactures Ultra Core wicks. The Ultra Core are a very nice sturdy wick. Unfortunately they are rather hard to locate distributors for and if you buy direct you have to buy in 1,000 count quantitites. (Something I cannot afford to do right now). Their web site is http://www.fil-tec.com/candles/index.html. If you go to the ultra core section you can play a video for their wick against some standard wicks.

I'd like to use the x-trim and self-trim also, but have not been able to find a distributor. You can get the Ultra Core from Early American Candle Supply in I think 250-count bags. (They seem to have a lot more sizes than what is on their website so you just need to email and ask). Obviously you may want to get a sample pack directly from Fil-Tec (see their website) before you commit to a large purchase.

If your melt pool was just shy of reaching the sides in 3 hours, that could be acceptable. Are you getting a good hot throw? If so, you may want to continue testing the 80, and see what happens. Once the wick gets further into the jar, the wax on the jar sides will catch up since the jar will become warmer. I have quite a few jars that do just that and they catch up nicely in the 3rd, or 4th burns, plus this will give you a longer burning candle for your customers. Just a thought! I see Henry answered your question about the Fil-Tec wicks...THANKS HENRY! I will keep you posted on my Fil-Tec wick testing as soon as I can get back to testing. I have some personal things going on right now and have had to put the candle testing aside, but will get back to it as soon as I can!

I use a soy blend wax from NG, (JOY wax) and I use it in 10oz and 16oz apothecary hars. I also do the pints.. I started using zinc core wicks, but have recently switched to HTP wicks. These wicks were supposedly the primary wicks used in Gel, but alot of people who use soy are converting to those. I love the melt pool, they way they burn, etc. The only minor problem I can find is that if you dont keep the wick trimmed after each burn, it tends to smoke a little.... but not too bad. Anyway, this was just my 2 cents worth. HTH:cheesy2: