Manual "KNUCKLEBUSTER" Credit Card Imprinter for shows???

BizzyBs

I have my "One and Only" show coming up in 3 weeks (actually 19 days)...and am wondering if you all think it is worth it to accept credit cards? I am thinking of buying a manual machine off of ebay and then signing up with Propay, then I'll use my propay account on my site, after as an alternative to paypal.

Do you all think it is worth it? Since I only do one show a year??

I was looking at some auctions tonight on ebay for them and am wondering what is a good deal? Should I get one where they include a custom plate with my name on it? What would I do, if there wasn't a plate...just stamp my info on the slips ahead of time?

I am REALLY new to this credit card stuff...so any/all help would be GREATLY appreciated! smile.gif TIA!

I just got an imprinter, and got one that comes with the plate. I think it's less work having the plate than having to stamp every slip. I definitely think accepting credit cards lead to more sales, but will you only be using it for this 1 show a year? Do you have wholesale accounts or a website? If it's only for a show, I don't know if it'd be worth it since propay has an annual fee of $35 I think, but if you use it more than that show I would say yes.

I have the smallest, lightest manual imprinter I could get. I think I paid $27 for the imprinter, slips and the stickers for Visa/Mastercard, they came as a set. I didn't get them from ebay though. I ordered mine from gocardservice.com http://csibusinesscenter.com/imprinter_515.html

They also do the custom plates but I didn't have one made, I just use my stamp. I have a propay account that I use for my website and I do probably 50% of my sales by credit card.

Yes IMO it's worth it. I have a knucklebuster and only do a handful of shows a year, and I too use Propay. The extra sales it brings in is well worth the Propay fee. And by having a manual imprint of the card you are more protected if there is a problem cuz you have proof you had the card in your hand.

I got an imprint plate w/mine cuz I didn't want to hassle with stamping each one. I take down their addy WITH ZIP (you must have ZIP), phone, and get the 3-digit code off the back of the card....have never had a problem. HTH.

Do you that use Propay, just use the basic account...or do you get premium, so that you can call the sales in at the time of the sale?

The reason I ask is, that I wonder how many people will by products with a bad card? I was thinking this wouldn't be any different than accepting personal checks...but, what do you all think?

I use the basic account. Don't do enough sales this way to justify the premium (yet). Like I said, as long as you have a manual imprint of the card, you are much more protected so even a bad card should not be much of a problem.

I've never had a bad card, and like you said, it's no different that accepting checks and I take far more checks than CC's :)

For those who signed up for Propay...how long did it take to get your account setup??

I've waited until the last minute and now am not sure I will get it in time? My show is September 24th and 25th...if I send in the check tomorrow...will I get my account setup in time??

I've been looking into getting a knuckebuster too, as I have heard that it's better to have an imprint of the card. But... what DO you do if you get a bad card at a show? If you are using propay/paypal/etc. to process cards once you are back home, but you already made the sale at the show? Is it your responsibility to track them down? Can you report them to someone? You have an imprint of the card, but how do you use the imprint?

Thanks for any advice!

it's through discover network and there are no monthly fees -no yearly fees and the rates are unbelievably low..i don't remember what exactly but they are very good-

My rep is Glenn Ashley and his # is 800-347-7996

or email glennashley@discoverfinancial.com

there is NO pressure like other vendors- and they have different programs depending on what you want- but he will get an idea of what you plan to do with it= and they do sell you the knuckle buster for @ $30 ish...

HTH

Meredyth

Country Lane Creations

I've been looking into getting a knuckebuster too, as I have heard that it's better to have an imprint of the card. But... what DO you do if you get a bad card at a show? If you are using propay/paypal/etc. to process cards once you are back home, but you already made the sale at the show? Is it your responsibility to track them down? Can you report them to someone? You have an imprint of the card, but how do you use the imprint?

Thanks for any advice!

Propay has a feature (not sure if it's just on the premium service, or on the regular) where you can call in the transaction. I've never used it, since I don't have a cell, and it takes awhile to get through the menu tree, but that would be one option.

Yes, it would be your responsibility to track them down. If you aren't getting authorization right away, you are the one assuming the risk. You've got their name and a zip code, you might be able to find their address and phone number online. I don't like asking for phone numbers at fairs, but that's just me. I've never had a bad card yet, but this is the first year that I had so many cards. I always cross my fingers :)

What are the benefits of using propay over paypal? I am looking at the overall fees but it seems like propay ends up more with the transfer fees, credit back fees etc? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Well, Propay can be used offline, it isn't tied to a cart. Paypal just started offering that feature - being able to manually enter charges, but it's $20/month from what I read on the fee literature.

Propay fees 3.5% + .35/trans, Paypal 2.9% + .30/trans

Propay transfer to bank .35, Paypal free.

Propay yearly fee, Paypal has none.

I think the real difference at the moment is that Propay works "offline" for it's regular rates, while Paypal you've got to pay $20/month to be able to enter charges..

I have the smallest, lightest manual imprinter I could get. I think I paid $27 for the imprinter, slips and the stickers for Visa/Mastercard, they came as a set. I didn't get them from ebay though. I ordered mine from gocardservice.com http://csibusinesscenter.com/imprinter_515.html

They also do the custom plates but I didn't have one made, I just use my stamp. I have a propay account that I use for my website and I do probably 50% of my sales by credit card.

I just ordered the same model as Foxhill TODAY & just received a email just a few minutes ago that it has SHIPPED! WOW!

Well, Propay can be used offline, it isn't tied to a cart. Paypal just started offering that feature - being able to manually enter charges, but it's $20/month from what I read on the fee literature.

Propay fees 3.5% + .35/trans, Paypal 2.9% + .30/trans

Propay transfer to bank .35, Paypal free.

Propay yearly fee, Paypal has none.

I think the real difference at the moment is that Propay works "offline" for it's regular rates, while Paypal you've got to pay $20/month to be able to enter charges..

I just started using paypal. It is free until Nov 1 then it will be $20 a month. It is super easy to use. I bought the knucklebuster on ebay..I cant wait to accept cc at my shows..we have had lots of people ask the last few years!~

Thanks so much for all of the replies! I bought my "knucklebuster" on ebay and it shipped the next day...I should be getting it tomorrow (or should I say today, as I am typing this at 12:50am LOL).

I sent my check into Propay and am hoping my account is setup in time for my show. :) Please send good vibes for me... :D