Measuring FO

Hi all..

I was wondering, I know there is a post somewhere but I did a seach and cant find anything. How do you measure FO? By weight or volume?

And I've heard that with heavier FO's, you use less than the normal 1 oz pp of wax. How can you tell if the FO is heavy? I have alot of 1oz bottles of FO from peak, so normally I just dump the whole bottle in, if its 1 lb of wax. But I recently got some bigger 4 and 8 oz bottles and I need to know how to measure out the right amount.

TIA

There's nothing about measuring by volume that's really wrong. It all depends on your methodology. If you do it by volume then your percentage of FO by weight will vary. However, there's nothing particularly magical about a certain percentage of FO. If the amount works for you and you do it consistently, that's fine.

If your methodology was based on percentage formulas and you measured your FO by volume, that would be wrong.

Im measuring by weight...i have a digital scale, i put a measuring cup on the scale and poured the FO until it said 1/4 oz. Now Im thinking thats not enough tho...thats only 3/4 oz for a pound and a half of wax. But then again, this is for my inlaws and they dont like really strong candles.

Im measuring by weight...i have a digital scale, i put a measuring cup on the scale and poured the FO until it said 1/4 oz. Now Im thinking thats not enough tho...thats only 3/4 oz for a pound and a half of wax. But then again, this is for my inlaws and they dont like really strong candles.

Ok I'm really confused. If the scale said it was 1/4 oz, how does that equal 3/4oz? I could be wrong, but most digital scales only say .2 or .3 which would be close to 1/4oz, .25=1/4 oz which is not even close to enough for 1.5lbs. As a rule of thumb, most use 1oz per lb. So going by that, you'd need 1.5oz for 1.5lbs of wax. It's true that this is only a rule of thumb. Some fos are too strong at 1oz pp, some aren't strong enough. But this is all opinionated. HTH some. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out the 1/4oz=3/4ozs though, hmmmmmmmmmm.