Brown sugar in cp soap

AnitaG

I have not used brown sugar in CP soaps, yet, but I do use white sugar (1 TBSP ppo). I add it to the water, dissolve and then add my lye. I would imagine it would work the same way. It will boost the lather some. But I wonder if the soap would end up being brown. Might be, but I am thinking that if it is scented with Vanilla, it would not matter.

Hmmmm, I think I need to add this to my "To Do List". :cheesy2:

Would love to see pictures, please.:cheesy2:

Not sure about the brown sugar, but I've used regular sugar and honey in batches. Regular sugar I've done same as above (1T pp oils and dissolve in the lye). Honey I do at same usage rate but put that in after trace. Honey can make your bath seize up real quick, so be careful. How do I know? Guess. :rolleyes2

The sugar can also turn the lyewater brown/yellow. I'm not sure if it comes through in the finished product much because my oils are a little yellowish and tend to color my batches anyway, depending on how deep the oil color is. But I do think the sugar is nice in the soaps. Unless it is the placebo effect.

Anyone wanna volunteer to test 'em? I can send a little sample bar of one sugar, one not and you can see if you can tell the difference and report back? I can't do it myself because, well, I KNOW ya know? :P

There was a huge thread on the dish regarding sugar (regular white at 1 T pp of oils) and HP. The consensus was that it not only boosted the bubbles, it made the batches more fluid and workable. I would assume brown sugar would have the same effect as white.

e

There was a huge thread on the dish regarding sugar (regular white at 1 T pp of oils) and HP. The consensus was that it not only boosted the bubbles, it made the batches more fluid and workable. I would assume brown sugar would have the same effect as white.

e

Thanks for sharing, e. I will go look for that thread. I have no interest in HP soap but there might be some verbiage on CP and sugar worth a read.