Why do you love Candle Making?

My friends and I were discussing the different reasons why we each enjoyed candle making and felt that if more people tried it they would be just as addicted as we are. So I'm curious to ask the group though if you could only tell someone one thing about candle making what would it be?

I find it fun because I absolutely LOVE candles and I love the idea that I can create whatever my little heart desires! And it brings me so much pleasure when someone comments to me how much they like my candles, too!!!

:rolleyes2 Uh good question! Sincerely.. I don't know why.

I arrived to the age of 30 without having a hobby.. I did some candles because a friend of mine was making candles and I was curious. Now I'm trapped in a world of scents and waxes and molds and pots.. and I don't know exactly why!!

I only know I just love it.

Well...in my early days...LMAO...like I have been doing this forever....going on 4 years now....I like...or loved making candles just because mine were/are odd and different. At 1st...I was keeping all my 1st made candles when I would get a new mold in...after a while of that...I realized I should be doing them all in one scent or no scent...til this day...the smell in that cabinet will knock you over...LMAO

But now....I like making my candles and taking them to craft fairs/shows and such. Clearly with a wick in the middle....people still ask "Can I eat this?" or " Are they real?".....so funny...lol...even worst is when my DH tries to eat jelly beans...wax jelly beans I might add.....LMAO....I'm asked everytime there is candy or a dessert in my kitchen if it's real.

For me it started out because I have to order in candles to were I live and thought it would be "cheaper" just to make them. Yeah, I know, I was wrong...LOL. But I got addicted to it and it is the one hobby that none of my very creative and crafty sisters do. Plus, I always have a gift on hand to give to someone and I always know what to give to my mom and sisters for holiday. Plus, it allowed me to discover the HO in me....that is the FO HO in me...LOL

I love making candles because I love scent and candle light. I like the whole process of making them. I enjoy deciding on the technique, the selection of fragrance, color and wick...but most of all...pulling them from the molds to see the results. I prefer making pillars more than anything else, but there really doesn't seem to be as much interest from clients for those and I don't know why. Usually, people who buy them want them more for decoration then to burn...go figure. They prefer containers, tins and tarts for the most part. I don't work hard to sell as much as I used to because the money is so sporatic and can't really be depended upon as a steady income, but I still continue to have some regular customers and I also do it just for the joy of making them for myself and family. In addition, it's nice to know that I can whip up a nice gift whenever I need one in a pinch.

I never wanted to make candles 23_2_91.gif ....I made them once for a craft show, just for something to addd to my candle holders. Gave that up...couple years later was playing on the internet and found my first silicone mold of something my mom wanted me to make. Lead to more internet searches looking for more of the molds and found other stuff. I was board, so I made some stuff with my new molds, mom took them to work and sold them. Picked up a fund raiser, sold them in my shop and sold out right away. Went straight to the wholesale end a few months later, and her I am today, doing this FT.

I could care less about having a candle in my house, I reak of the smell, and prefer Yankmee 4_14_4.gif mainly cause i am so used to my own crap that I can't stand it. I do however get sick in the stomach when I walk in to a yankmee store, can;t stand the smell. Love the scent Buttercream and Vanilla Caramel.

I get 23_50_1.gifway to easy, sewing used to be my thing, I have about 1000 yds in my soare BR to prove it, then wood, now this. Moving onto soap and new products is making it easier.

Goes to prove eventually things happen the way they are supposed to be. I could still be at my last dead end job with no where to go like all the rest of the 16_3_158.gif who are still there after 20 yrs, making crap for money.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNxmk121JJUS

I find making candles to be a HUGE stress reliever. My day job is a pressure cooker and I so look forward to the weekends when I can just tinker around in pursuit of my quest to create the perfect candle! I love the challenge of it all and when I'm in my kitchen I don't even think about anything else.

All that stress just MELTS AWAY. :bliss:

I love it because its something that I'm actually pretty good at. I've never really had a true hobby. I think my boyfriend actually might have suggested I get into it, dont quote me on that tho. Lol. Even with all the frustrations when you just CANT get the candle to burn right, wick it right, WHATEVER - I love the feeling when I finally get it right. When I get a perfect candle after all my hard work. I feel like I've actually accomplished something. Makes me proud of myself.

I am another who finds candlemaking a great stress reliever, and I never had a hobby that I could really get into...I tried sooo many different things, knitting, weaving, crochet, basket weaving...yes basket weaving..I have some beautiful baskets now...lol....and I saw a candle someone else had made and HAD to learn how to do it and here I am...10 years later...lol....

Don't you know? It's probably one of the most tempermental hobbies to come along...fits my personality, I guess. I love making the dang things because it's fairly easy, and I yet, every time I cut my finger on a metal mold, or splash wax on my favorite pair of jeans, or spill dye on the floor, I wonder how I could have started such a messy HABIT! It's bad enough I'm that Sloppy when I eat!

I got candles in the bathroom, kitchen, along the fireplace mantel, and stacked up in my garage. And I hate clutter.

I've froze 'em, melted them with a 'torch', embedded them, cubed them, cracked them in the freezer, and stuck 'em outdoors in the middle of winter just to see WHAT would happen IF I DID. Kinda came up with some cool looks though.

The sad part in all this is when I saw Candle Companies like Yankee, use the same ideas I thought I CREATED, and they're making more money them me, darnIT.

For ambience...nah....if I want ambience, I grab my Honey, a bottle of wine, and we sit in front of the fireplace naked...Now THAT's Ambience...heheh

Why do I love making candles? Because I can - and I can sell them, and hopefully make the Perfect Candle better than anyone else. HA! I said it - I was always thinking I could do better than the other person. And for the most part - I still think THAT WAY...hahahahaha

You can't make a bad candle - just another new idea...

Texas Rose