Jump to content

I made my first candles ever!!!


Joni
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wow....I just made my first batch of candles ever!!! I kept VERY simple, just some tea lights, tarts, and a couple of votives. I followed the directions from the wax provider (i am using the soy blend) but I think the temp they suggest to pour at are too low because my candles look lumpy on top. I reheated some of the wax and poured a couple more which look great so far. They are not cooled enough yet to take them out of the molds, but I plan to make another batch tomorrow and hopefully they will look much better. I am so excited :D

joni

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys....I do however have a couple questions to continue with my "works of art"....

**keep in mind that I am trying to be very basic at this point!! lol****

how long should candles sit in the mold before removing them? i have already tried to remove them (maybe it was too early?...i made them this afternoon) and I absolutely could not get them out of the mold...i tried freezing them for a few minutes, i presprayed them with a little pam (i read that often helps with new molds) but no luck. So I left them there.

What is the best temperature to use for pouring the wax? I bought soy wax and the instructions that came with it said to pour at 90-100 degrees F...but that seemed WAY too cool....the wax was sooooo thick and they looked quite ugly on top....I ended up reheating some of the wax to try again.

How much of the dye bar do you use for 1 lb of wax? The bar says that it will color up to 35 lbs of wax so I only cut off a very small piece of brown. While the wax was liquid, the color looked really dark, but when it cooled, it was a very light tan color.

I am sorry about asking all these questions to you guys but I have searched the internet and have found no luck. I would really really appreciate your help here.

Thanks!!

Joni

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome!

here on CT there is someone (hello Mozzie;)) who saw my first pillars.. well they have a cave bottom because I didn't know anything about the second repour. Before joining this board!

Have fun, and congrats!

LOL. I proudly displayed my first pillar upside down ... because I didn't know the bottom of the mold was the TOP of the finished candle. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys....I do however have a couple questions to continue with my "works of art"....

**keep in mind that I am trying to be very basic at this point!! lol****

how long should candles sit in the mold before removing them? i have already tried to remove them (maybe it was too early?...i made them this afternoon) and I absolutely could not get them out of the mold...i tried freezing them for a few minutes, i presprayed them with a little pam (i read that often helps with new molds) but no luck. So I left them there.

What is the best temperature to use for pouring the wax? I bought soy wax and the instructions that came with it said to pour at 90-100 degrees F...but that seemed WAY too cool....the wax was sooooo thick and they looked quite ugly on top....I ended up reheating some of the wax to try again.

How much of the dye bar do you use for 1 lb of wax? The bar says that it will color up to 35 lbs of wax so I only cut off a very small piece of brown. While the wax was liquid, the color looked really dark, but when it cooled, it was a very light tan color.

I am sorry about asking all these questions to you guys but I have searched the internet and have found no luck. I would really really appreciate your help here.

Thanks!!

Joni

To answer your first and second questions, it depends. Tarts and votives need a hard wax designed for being used in a mold. If you happen to have tried CONTAINER wax (which typically says pour cool ... around 100 or less), you are going to have a difficult time unmolding because these waxes are designed to cling to the surface of the container they're poured into. Pillar/votive/tart blends are designed to be poured hot and then shrink away from the mold after cool so you can get them out of the mold.

Hope that made sense. It's past my bedtime. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...