Palm Wax

I need some advise about palm wax.

I just made my first test candles with palm wax. I used polycarbonate plastic molds and I can’t get the test candles out of the molds. I did not use any mold release. I’ll try melting them out.

Any and all Advice about palm wax will be appreciated. What type of mold release should I use? Should I use any additives? Are their additives I should never use? What is a good mold cleaner for palm wax? How about wick size? And anything else I need to know.

Thank you.

Steve@cabdlesbysteve.com

With the palm I use, I add 2 TBS palm steric pp. to aid in release. I also use aluminum molds. On the wicking, you definatly need to wick up from your paraffin pillars, as palm is really hard. To get pretty crystal or granite look, you need to make sure your molds are good and hot when you pour. HTH!

Thanks for answering.

I had to put the molds into boiling water to get the palm wax candles out. Then I had to plunge the molds in boiling water to get the residue out of the molds. It took some time but, Ihave them all cleaned up now.

I have alunium molds as well as stainless steal, so I won't use poly carb molds any more.

Are you adding palm steric to your palm wax? I always use 2 TBS per pound of palm wax and mine just almost jump out of the molds. They do have to be completly cool also, or they dont release. Make sure the mold is cool to the touch before trying to take them out. Also, I pour to the top of the mold, wait for it to form a shell, then poke some relief holes. DO NOT DO A SECOND POUR WHILE IT IS IN THE MOLD! After the candle has completly cooled, I remove it from the mold, then drip wax into the relief holes and fill them level with the candle. Then I wait for that to dry and level them. Hope this helps you out some.

I have not tried steric axid. I have some steric but Idon't kbow if it is palm steric or not. Will it cause a problem if it is not palm steric acid?

I mde ny newst 2 pound candle with about a teespoon of crisco and 2 oz of oil scent. it burns better than plain palm wax but it has smaller crystals.

I gues the more oil addes the smaller the crystal structure.

My palm wax makes a crystal pattern. I did not know their were different types of palm wax. I was told to use a loose weave wick and pour at about 200 F. I'll try pouring at the high temp into an aluminm mold.

I had no idea how different palm wax is from parifin.

I have palm 2 wax. I don't think it will ever come out of a mold. I had to use boiling water again. I don't think my stearic acid is palm. My molds are seamless aluminum but I don't use wick pins.

I think I'll have to get some silacone mold release spray. Too bad Candlewic.com had palm 2 on sail instead of feather. I bought 100 pounds of the stuff. The candles look nice. I will figure out how to use this stuff yet.

All Steric Acid is made from Palm. Try it at about 2 TBS per pound of Palm wax. And remember, DO NOT REPORE IN THE MOLD. I can not stress that enough. Poke your relief holes, but remove them from the mold once they are completly cool, and then fill in the holes. If you dont, they will swell up inside the mold and you will not be able to get them out. BTW, I dont use the feathering wax, I use the large crystal palm.

I made 2 more test candles. I used 2 sizes of flat cotton braid. One was 31 ply and the other was made for candles of 4 to 5 inches diameter. I used steric acid, about 1 tablespoon per pound, I don’t know if it is palm steric or not. I used a 3 by 9 ½ inch aluminum molds with Palm 2 Wax and poured it at about 220 F. These candles burn nice but don’t melt all the way to the edge.

They would not come out of the molds. I had to use boiling water again to get them out. I am starting to think palm 2 just won’t come out of the molds. I got 100 pounds from Candlewic.com

I’ll try to find some silicone mold release spray.

Steve, just curious whether or not you let the candle completely cool before removing from the mold? I use the Palm 2 and Palm 3 from Candlewic and I don't have a problem with getting them to release ( I don't use stearic either ) but I do take them out while they are still pretty hot. I don't know if that makes a difference or not but I have read here about others having the same release problem. Mine fly out of the molds. Try removing one before it cools and see if that helps. Just make sure you have a good solid shell formed first.

Also, you don't want the palm pillars to burn to the edge or you'll have wax everywhere. Typically you will have a shell but it will melt as the candle burns down.

I made 2 more test candles. I used 2 sizes of flat cotton braid. One was 31 ply and the other was made for candles of 4 to 5 inches diameter. I used steric acid, about 1 tablespoon per pound, I don’t know if it is palm steric or not.. I used a 3 by 9 ½ inch aluminum molds with Palm 2 Wax and poured it at about 220 F. These candles burn nice but don’t melt all the way to the edge.

They would not come out of the molds. I had to use boiling water again to get them out.. I am starting to think palm 2 just won’t come out of the molds. I got 100 pounds from Candlewic.com

I’ll try to find some silicone mold release spray.