SFIC MP Question

SunshineSundries

I am testing some SFIC MP - ok I'm really playing around with it. :) I've come up with some really cool ideas but I'm running into one problem... BUBBLES!! And I'm not talking about the Power Puff Girl either! ;) Here's what I've done...

made some colored swirlygigs out of the white and some oxides and put them in the bottom of my MWM - heated up a pound of the low sweat clear - added about .5 oz of Mac Apple FO - poured a layer over the swirlygigs after spraying them with RA - sprayed the top of the "film" with some more RA - put alittle football in there and sprayed that too - then poured til I reached to the top edge of the mold.

The concept worked really well (I'm actually amazed at myself! LOL) except for the bubbles... I used a spoon to stir and I have no clue what I poured out - I went for corn syrup thinned appearance... Should I use a popstick to stir to help keep the bubbles down? What temp should I be pouring this base at? I am at a loss for what I did wrong... can you put *too* much RA in this?? I don't think I did - just a couple of mists with a fine mister bottle...

Any help with this base would be appreciated! I want to order from the Co-op going on but I need to know how much I'm going to need because if I can't get this to work, I'm not going to order as much clear... TIA!!!

Life & Light!

Tish

Sometimes I have bubbles when pouring mp too quickly. I also wiggle the mold a little bit after pouring the soap in it. The bubbles usually rise to the top and can be hit with RA when they reach the surface. Are you stirring or pouring quickly? The soap should be melted but not boiling.

I'm not sure if you can use too much rubbing alcohol. Usually mine only needs a couple squirts. If too much alcohol is sprayed, it forms a layer on top of the soap and dries up if you wait long enough.

I'm not sure from your post, but you said you spray the film. That sounds to me like you've let it cool slightly before you sprayed it. I always spray mine while it's still hot and has just been poured.

So would you pour then spray - pour then spray and so on so you are spraying every soap in the multimold tray? Does that make sense?

TIA!

Life & Light!

Tish

I use a log mold so it's all poured at once. When I previously used multi unit molds I poured the whole a whole tray and then sprayed each mold.

When I make multi layer soap I pour the first layer and spray as mentioned, then I let it firm up a little, and get that "film" on top, then I spray it once again and pour my next layer on top of it. Then I spray the new layer while it's still hot and the bubbles completely disappear.

I use a log mold so it's all poured at once. When I previously used multi unit molds I poured the whole a whole tray and then sprayed each mold.

When I make multi layer soap I pour the first layer and spray as mentioned, then I let it firm up a little, and get that "film" on top, then I spray it once again and pour my next layer on top of it. Then I spray the new layer while it's still hot and the bubbles completely disappear.

When I do multi cavity molds, I pour each one then spray, before pouring the next one.

I do the same as Sock Monkey when making a multi layered soap.

It sounds like maybe you're stirring to vigorously if the bubbles are throughout the soap, and/or that your pouring too cool to allow the bubbles to rise to the top??

I do occasionally get a few bubbles that cling to my soap curlz (is that what swirly gigs are??) and if they are big, I simply use a toothpick or wooden skewer to try and pop them before the soap sets up.

When I do multi cavity molds, I pour each one then spray, before pouring the next one.

I do the same as Sock Monkey when making a multi layered soap.

It sounds like maybe you're stirring to vigorously if the bubbles are throughout the soap, and/or that your pouring too cool to allow the bubbles to rise to the top??

I do occasionally get a few bubbles that cling to my soap curlz (is that what swirly gigs are??) and if they are big, I simply use a toothpick or wooden skewer to try and pop them before the soap sets up.

I call them swirlygigs just because they are like a curl only a bit straighter and twisted rather than curled (does that make sense? lol).

OK - a big DUH! for using a toothpick... sometimes I wonder about myself! I'll have to try that on my next pour that I'm going to do in a bit. Pour a bit hotter too - I'm just afraid of melting the peices... :undecided but I'll try it and see what happens.

Do you put your MP in the freezer to ease mold release? I have an issue cuz I did - I put my soaps in the freezer for about an hour. They were clear when I put them in there but when I took them out the soap was all milky. :( Is this because I put them in the freezer? I waited for them to be firm to the touch before I put them in there... UG! Sometimes I wonder what I'm getting myself into!! lol

Thanks for the help though! I really appreciate it! :D

Life & Light!

Tish

Pour, spritz, pour, spritz. Don't wait to spritz, do it right after you pour and if you're doing layers again before you pour each additional layer. An hour in the freezer is a hella long time. I use to put mine in the refrig for 5 min and it would pop right out, but they would sweat. So now I just be more patient and let it sit over night. As soon as it pops out of the mold shrink wrap or saran wrap it.