Golden Harvest Mason jar help please?

TxGirl

I posted this morning about the trouble I'm having with wicking this jar (16 oz Golden Harvest Mason Canning Jar - it has a small mouth). I use paraffin container wax (6006 or J223). I wouldn't ask this without doing a ton of testing first, but can anyone point me in the direction of wicking this silly jar? I've tried LX14, LX16, LX18, CD8, CD10, HTP83. Can you tell me if I'm even in the right ball park with the wicking? Or did I start out way to small? I can't get the melt pool to to the sides of the jar. I'd really appreciate your help. I don't expect to be spoon fed info, it's just that I have really tried and just am not getting it yet. Thank you in advance! :)

I posted this morning about the trouble I'm having with wicking this jar (16 oz Golden Harvest Mason Canning Jar - it has a small mouth). I use paraffin container wax (6006 or J223). I wouldn't ask this without doing a ton of testing first, but can anyone point me in the direction of wicking this silly jar? I've tried LX14, LX16, LX18, CD8, CD10, HTP83. Can you tell me if I'm even in the right ball park with the wicking? Or did I start out way to small? I can't get the melt pool to to the sides of the jar. I'd really appreciate your help. I don't expect to be spoon fed info, it's just that I have really tried and just am not getting it yet. Thank you in advance! :)

hi i use that same jar. but not that wax i use iga 4630 and wick with 62-52-18z and it works fine for me.

i know its not the same wax you are using but maybe my info might help you.

good luck :laugh2::laugh2:

Actually that helps a lot. Thank you! At least that gives me a ball park idea on the wick for that container. I gather from how you're wicking that jar that it does need a fairly large wick and I'm not even close to the right size yet. LOL Thanks so much! I appreciate your help.

Edited and added comment:

OK, I was just looking at wicks and if I use a comparable wick to what you are using I'd need an LX21 or LX22, a CD14 or CD16, or an HTP104. It is good to at least have an idea where I need to be and now I know I was a good ways off. Thanks again.

Actually that helps a lot. Thank you! At least that gives me a ball park idea on the wick for that container. I gather from how you're wicking that jar that it does need a fairly large wick and I'm not even close to the right size yet. LOL Thanks so much! I appreciate your help.

Edited and added comment:

OK, I was just looking at wicks and if I use a comparable wick to what you are using I'd need an LX21 or LX22, a CD14 or CD16, or an HTP104. It is good to at least have an idea where I need to be and now I know I was a good ways off. Thanks again.

your welcome let me know how it works out for you.

Do most of you single wick these jars, or double wick? I have never tried them before, but with all of the larger jars I have wicked, I have had to double wick. (And I don't like it!! They never line up right - I finally made a template to place the jar on while wicking...lol)

For a regular mouth jar I single wick. For all my apothecary jars.. 10 oz and up.. I double. Folks love that I double wick as all the wax burns completely gone. Doesn't take as long to get a full melt pool either and that is a good selling point for larger jars as not everyone wants to have to burn the candle for 5 hours or more before blowing it out the first time.

Thanks again, everyone. I feel sure now that I was way off from the beginning with the wick being too small and that's why I've had so much trouble with these jars. I got some CD14 wicks in the mail today and I'm going to try those. And if that doesn't work I'll be ordering some LX22 as suggested and also some of the zincs that were suggested here too.

Thanks so much! :)

Update and latest test results. I am still having trouble with this jar! For goodness sakes! I wicked up and now flames shoot up above the jar for about the first 15 minutes of burn time then slowly and steadily the flame gets wimpy and nearly dies out. I'm starting to think that maybe I need a new supplier for my wicks. Man this is so frustrating. It shouldn't be this hard to find a wick! I've been through so many different ones. It's getting ridiculous!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest amynleebishop

I use the same jars as well as Kerr and Ball and I wick them all with CD 14's. I have never used the LX's but if you are using the CD 10, it is too small. I have used the CD 12's and they do not seem quite big enough. I actually have three burning now and they all have a great melt pool and the wicks are burning fine. What are your wicks doing? :yay:

Based on your update: I had a problem with that too....what wax are you using and where did you get it!!!!