How fast should a votive liquefy?

bdank

Hi everyone,

I'm currently test burning an unscented votive that I made in a standard metal votive mold using 75% CBL-141 and 25% J223. I wicked it with a 34-40-20 zinc core wick. It's been burning for an hour and a half and it is just now starting to get a full melt pool but nothing is spilling over the sides. It seems to be burning more like a pillar. I eventually want to add FO to my votives, so I was wondering, how soon does a good votive liquefy?

Thanks,

Bonnie

Votives should burn for about 15 hours...but some burn longer. Let it run it's course. If it never liquifies and continues to burn like a pillar, then use the next size wick and go from there. I don't use the zinc wicks so I can't suggest what size to use next.

Thanks for the replies. I've just gotten back into candle making after two years of not doing it. I forgot so much, but do remember how much I love it! I've been experimenting with votives and tarts. I want to get those perfected before I move on to containers.

My test votive has been burning since 9:35AM, about 7 hours so far. It finally did liquefy after about three hours of burning. Does this sound about right? I made some more votives today with FO and will test those for throw after they cure for a few days. I do realise that I might need to change the wick according to the FO. I plan on buying many types of wicks to test.

I want to add that I poured Peaks cranberry citrus about 20 minutes ago. It was a free sample that they sent me, and oh boy is it strong. I can't wait to see how the hot and cold throws are on it.