Looking For Input

eugenia

Got this email:

Euqenia,

First of all let me thank you for participating in our Country Fair this past June. I hope you enjoyed it and will consider participating next year. The reason I am writing is to see if you would consider giving a short Program on the art of making soap at one of our upcoming Rotary Club meetings. At each meeting we have a Program where we have someone speak to the club on various topics that we feel would be interesting and enjoyable.

Not sure whether I should do this. They do say a "short program" and the exposure would be nice. On the other hand, I'm not an expert. What do you think?

e

I just did this last year. It was nice, everyone hung on my every word and no one left early (which I guess was a big deal according to the waitresses - they told me to not "get discouraged" if some of them left early)

I did a 45 minute talk about my business and my methods of soapmaking, candlemaking, b&b making. I brought tons of samples for everyone to try and gave them all little samples of product to try out when they went home.

After that, we had quite a few orders come in from the rotary - mostly individuals looking for 10 of this and 20 of that for functions and favors they needed.

I still have customers to this day from the rotary that call and need all kinds of things for functions - very good idea in my opinion.

PS - I remember just this year we were asked to provide little goody bags for the universal rotary party that had all kinds of members throughout the world. The only thing I remember getting from that was a thank you card though lol

E,

As a newbie to soap, there are people that post and you ignore what they say and people that post and you hang on everything they say because you know they know what they are talking about. I always take note of what you say along with a handful of others. I say DO IT!!! Don't sell yourself short, expert maybe not lol who is, but you are very, very knowledgable and are more than qualified to do it in my book. I also think it would be great for business. I agree with Jenny, samples to hand out is the wat to go. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Barb

Go for it! :cheesy2: Remember, that when you are talking with the group you ARE the expert and know more than any member of your audience. People are always curious about the art of soapmaking and you may well receive business from the short talk!

They will love your samples. :D

You know, I also wanted to say that there are many older members there that will reminisce about when they either made soap or when their mother or grandmother did & you will get alot of audience participation.

I think out of all the speaking I did, that one had to be the most satisfying experience I ever had. Everyone was so full of questions - it was great (and I love to talk about my business alot anyway!)

If you like public speaking I say go for it, but if you would rather be strung up by your toenails than speak in public, skip it. For some people, speaking in front of a group is no big deal, for others it is the worst thing they can imagine. My dh hates it, he has to do it, but his first couple of times, he was worried to death.

I think it is good exposure and it is great for soap makers. I hate having to explain the lye "acid" over and over. My mom is so patient with it, but after a couple hundred times, I just want to scream.

Since we have been doing it for so long, it is not so bad in her neck of the woods, but I still hear it here a lot.

grumble.... I think it is a great idea, though. Just think of all the ladies you will not have to explain it to individually.

If you have experience in speaking and have a good voice I would do it. Nothing is worse than someone speaking in front of an audience with a monotone voice or doesn't make it fun....

I grew up on theater and have won public speaking awards so that is not an issue. As long as I prepare, all should be fine. Thanks again to all of you who answered.

I can't imagine it not going well - you may not consider yourself and "expert" but you are obviously very knowledgable and are immersed in the subject personally!

It sounds great E, and I know it will go smoothly. If it's in your town it really super-fab; those folks know hand-crafted and will buy it (as you know) so it's good for business! When is it?