How do you get wax dye out of lino?

pickle

Hmm... moved a bag of candlemaking stuff, and noticed yellow candle dye (from a dye disc) on my lino floor (in my rented apartment!)

I've tried metholated spirits, nail varnish remover and bleach (which has lightened it a little)

I know I'm asking for a miracle, but I don't really want to buy the landlord a whole new lino floor when I move out!

Try vegetable oil first. Candle dye is soluble in that. Smear it on, leave it for a minute or two, then rub vigorously with a paper towel. You can also follow up with water and a little dishwashing liquid to remove any oil residue and some dye along with it.

If that doesn't work well enough, get some odorless mineral spirits from the art supply store and see if that will get more of it out. It's pretty safe to use. Alternatively they may have something called odorless turpenoids, which is more or less equivalent.

As a last resort, you can consider Goof Off or an equivalent stain removing solvent that contains xylene. I don't know if that can damage linoleum. You want to be careful with it in any case, as the vapors are harmful and very flammable. Use it with ventilation and store it carefully.

Good luck.

oh man that's a tough one. I've used a little dap of wax on a paper towel to get dye off of metal or glass, but not off of linolium. You tried nail polish remover? Did it have acetone in it? Remover with acetone in it might work, but then the acetone may melt the floor. if you try that dab a little first to test it. Hmmm. What about that stuff they use to remove grease off of mechanic's hands? I think it is called Goop or something like that. When all else fails maybe try a little dab gasoline or deisel on a paper towel? Be really careful though!

PS. I like top's idea of veggie oil. Or maybe you could try a little crisco grease. That might work too.

thanks guys I'll give the vegetable oil a go first and hope for the best! I'm always on at my other half to watch the carpet and be careful of this and that and then I just go and put my foot in it and do this!:embarasse whoops!