???'s on Full Gel

Kymber

I am using a Baltic Birch 18 bar slab mold (fairly new at trying this mold out) with the dividers and I have noticed on my last 2-3 batches that I am not getting a full gel........all the way out to all sides? I let it gel on my Hoosier Cupboard with lid on and double layer towels on the bottom for it to sit on, and 3 towels over it tucked in on all sides. The last 2 batches had honey in them and that should of heated everything up but it still didn't gel clear out to the edges. What am I doing wrong?? Maybe I should set it in a warm oven.....not turned on..just turn it on long enough to heat up a bit then shut it off and set my mold in there? My outside edge bars look dorky with the half gel effect going on.....:angry2:

Thanks for any input!

Not getting a full gel will not hurt the performance of the soap, just the look. You could put it in the oven either not turned on or turned on. If your mold will withstand it, you can turn the oven on warm or about 170 and let the oven heat up. Put the mold in there and then immediately turn the oven off. Leave the mold in the oven until the next day or completely cooled. Or you can leave the mold in the oven, on warm/170 for 2 hours, then turn it off and let it sit in there over night.

Or you can continue with the set up you are using now, excepting add a heating pad (possibly 2) on low temp. Keep an eye on it and when your soap is just about there, turn off the heat.

Or work towards preventing gel.

Either way will give a uniform look to your soap (which is what I am assuming you are after, since this doesn't affect the quality).

It took me a while to get the right setup - amount of insulation, location, air... For my Misty Creek I put it on top of a folded towel and a folded fleece baby blanket, then cover it with the same setup, tucking it around the sides. I then place it in my bedroom (only room that works) under the window - but the window has to stay closed if it's cold out. This window is far away from the AC vent.

Doesn't work with the log molds though - still working on how to do those! Gol dern it!

And I'm moving so will have to start all over again!

Thanks you guys! I know it doesn't have to gel...but they sure look funky when you end up with a bar that is half gelled and half not. Annoying! I don't know how to keep it from gelling at all besides stick it in the fridge. I just threw a batch of Lilac in the oven--we'll see how that goes. The heating pad is a great idea too! Maybe if I would quit peeking that would help too? LOL I have no prob with my smaller batches...just this bigger mold.

I don't like the bullseye gels either...they looky tacky! I just peeked at my Lilac in the oven and it gelled to all the edges..........so that worked great! But holy cow when I opened that oven door.....does it smell like a lilac bush in there! LOL

Keep in mind, some FO's will make the batch easier to gel. Keep notes on what worked for the particular FO and what didn't work.

To prevent gel, you could put the mold in the refrid or freezer before pouring. After you pour, you could just cover with saran wrap and put a fan near the mold blowing the heat away from the mold. Or if there is a ceiling fan in the room, that might be enough to continuously blow the heat coming from the mold away.

I wouldn't put it in the freezer to stop gel. Refrig, okay, but not the freezer.