USPS - Flat Rate Boxes

Ollivander

Someone on here knows how to turn the box inside out - I forget who...but I ordered something from the classy's and it came in a brown box, but when I opened it on the inside was the flat rate stuff. I wish I knew how to do it...cause there are times I need that size box and rather use the free boxes versus the ones I have paid for.

Hi,

This is from the usps.com website.

If any Express or Priority Mail packaging or packaging supplies e.g., Priority Mail tape to seal a Parcel Post® package, are used on any other class of mail, the applicable Express or Priority Mail price will be charged.

Misuse may be a violation of federal law.

Turning the packaging inside out to conceal the Priority Mail / Express Mail insignia is specific misuse that is not allowed.

I have heard some people doing it and getting away with it.

However if you are caught you can be fined and unable to order supplies.

Hope that helps!

Can you use these boxes to ship other then using the flat rate. I need to ship something thats going to cost about 6.00 if I go by weight. I only have the flat rate boxes that usps sent me.
There is a new priority mail box called Shoebox whose size and shape are very similar to the flat rate box. It would be perfect for when you are needing something the size of the flat rate box, but it is light enough so that it costs less than $8.10.

I'm sure you can get away with it if you flip the box inside out and/or wrap with brown paper to cover up the logo. But if a lot of people abuse this privilege of the free boxes, who knows in the future it may not be free anymore and then we'll all be worse off.

can't you also use that box and just cover it. wrap it with a brown paper grocery bag like you would a christmas present, address it and ship it how ever you want?

Turning the packaging inside out to conceal the Priority Mail / Express Mail insignia is specific misuse that is not allowed.

Why would you want to chance it? If you need a brown box, save the ones your supplies come in. And I agree with sudsnwicks...if privileges are abused, they are generally taken away.

There are two Priority Mail boxes. One is a Flat Rate Box it has a huge red dot that states it uses one price regardless of weight for $8.10. The other box doesn't have the flat rate dot on it and is charged whatever the going rate is. I use these to ship in state and am charged $5-$6.00. If I ship out of state than the rate goes up so it is best to use the Red dot Flat rate box for $8.10. Hope this helps...

Why would you want to chance it? If you need a brown box, save the ones your supplies come in. And I agree with sudsnwicks...if privileges are abused, they are generally taken away.

Thanks for the info!!!