F/O Capacity

Googs

Newbie still figuring things out. I've been doing a lot of research in the archives, and my own math. What I don't quite understand is just about everyone says that 1oz pp of F/O works well and gives good scent throw. When I do the math for 10% per pound (16oz) it comes to 1.6 (1 ounce 6 grams). I would assume that 1 1/2 oz pp @ 10% pp would be acceptable to get the most fragrance from your molded candle. Is this correct or am I just doing the math wrong?

I know this has been discussed a lot and it gets tiring for the members to constantly here about this from the newbies. I would greatly appreciate your advice! TIA

Scott :embarasse :confused:

A lot of how much fo you would use, would have to do with what wax you're using as well. I personally use Paraffin, and can't use more than 1oz of fragrance. My wax usually will only hold that amount w/o seeping issues later. Some fo's such as Vanilla or Vanilla bases will seep if I use too much fo. Some fragrances are just meant to be lightly scented.

I do know that some use 1.5 ozs, but again it depends on the wax. I didn't see what wax you were talking about. HTH

I'm currently using IGI 1343 with 1 tsp Vybar 103 per pound added, and 2-3 Tbs of stearic acid per pound. I also use IGI 4625, and I'm getting ready to experiment with container wax here in the near future.

I'm sorry my math was incorrect. But I think most people would understand what I was getting at. I'm sorry if I didn't know the exact amount of grams that are in an ounce. Once again a newbie mistake. I'm just trying to learn here, isn't what this site is for?

Thanks,

Scott :confused: (confused)

Scott,

don't feel bad...I'm an accountant and I hate math with a passion!! The 1343 wax will not hold much FO - using it straight, it will hold only 3% (.48oz). Adding the stearic at 3 TBS/pp will increase it a couple points but it still has it limits. Even with the stearic and FO at 6% (1 oz) I still get some FO seepage. I made 10 pillars yesterday with 1343, 5% FO & stearic and they are all sweating, some more than others.

I have been experimenting lately with adding some GL 70/30 parasoy blend and can get better oil retention but haven't got the exact numbers worked out yet. When you start on containers, I'd recommend the 70/30 - it's a great wax.