My newsletter is boring.

soygirl

A couple years ago I started a newsletter so that I could promote my website store. It mostly contains information about new products in development, current specials and sales, craft fairs where we will have a booth and who won the monthly candle drawings. I also try to include a little newsworthy bit, craft project or money saving tips. I think most people sign up just to try and win a free candle, so I don't know if anyone actually reads my newsletters, but in case they do, I want them to be worth reading. I am having trouble coming up with new points of interest lately. For others who put out a newsletter - from where do you draw your inspiration for interesting articles?

This is a really good post. I have been thinking about thi slately. I basically have the same info in my newsletter, but i have been getting lots of new sign ups and want to make over my newsletter. I think it has a lot to do with who you have your letter through. I use bravenet as its free and I think adding a special offer every month just for newsletter recipeints got me more readers, ppl actually have been reading to find out what sale i have for them. Also when i do contest. I think most ppl look for a bright and inviting letter to read and make sure you start it with something thats gonna grab the attention. A catchy title helps too. Hopefully other will give some good suggestions.

You can try to get a feel for whether they are being read or not by offering a special and telling them to enter code such and such to get the discount.

When I create my newsletters I think about things I like and newsletters I get from other companies and the things I like or don't like about them--what things I read and what things I skip. I always try to have a little stuff not necessarily related to any of the items I carry--just things for entertainment value, like horoscope/zodiac stuff, recipes, fashion trends, puzzles, etc.

If you're selling candles maybe you can give them information about home decor. There are resources that you can find that discuss color trends in homes and fashion. You could also discuss aromatherapy or facts about how fragrance is made, etc. You could discuss candle accessories or show pictures of your candles displayed in a decorative fashion (on a mirror, surrounded by florals or Christmas greenery for example).

You could create a puzzle where you mix up the letters to the scents of your candle sand they have to figure out the what scent it is supposed to spell.

I am currently working on a newsletter and am gather stuff. I love food recipes, so I was thinking of adding a couple. Either a great dessert, soup, or just a great drink. I don't know if you were going to mail them out or just add it to your website, but I am going to do a mailer, because I get hits on my website and this might be a good way to see who is viewing my website.

Hi all. This is something that I am passionate about since this is basicly what I do for a living. (monthly Newsletters) Problem is... I do it for someone else and their sense of humor/style is lacking, lol... and they have the final say over the end result and overall feel of the newsletter.

One of the things I did get to incorporate though is to always have an inspirational quote. The feed back has been wonderful. People love to get the newsletter because they enjoy the quotes. You see, the business I do the newsletter for is 'VERY' big on inspiration and warm fuzzies and empowerment, lol.. so this went over well. People really hold dearly to their favorite quotes...and regard wisdom with great respect..as you can see just by browsing this very board as a matter of fact! I think humorous quotes are at times even better.

If I could have it my way I would also develop some kind of reader tips, feedback, reviews, etc. Offer to let THEM have a say by contributing themselves! Everyone has something to say... again - as you can see by looking around here, lol. They can do so annonymously if they like. Perhaps if they do contribute useful interesting info you can offer small rewards of product. Make it something different and or specific each newsletter so they are more inclined to 'go for it this time' to get a sampling of something they are afraid to buy. I also try to keep a theme going. All my clip art has something to do with whatever is important that month. My color scheme follows as well. And I try to make my quotes relate to the theme. Also a calender that they can post.. half of a page or on the back of or the last page. Events around town, new releases you have, holidays, customers b-days.......etc.

You may think an extra page and some color is a waste of money... but if it's really not very pleasing or interesting or eye grabbing.... the entire effort is a waste.

ETA: as you can see i'm coming from the stand point of paper mailers... but most of these things work the same either way. :-)