Eco wicks curling too much

Hello everyone.... I have been having a heck of a time with my newest jars and am hoping that someone out there can help me. I am a devoted straight ez soy user and have been using eco wicks with great success. I love the clean burn and the self trimming aspect. BUT, for the last few months I have been trying to wick these BCN 16 oz. country comfort jars. They are 4" high and 3 7/8" wide. I started by double wicking with 2 eco 4's and the flames became tiny. So I bumped up to 2 eco 6's. The jar did get a bit hot and I wasn't totally thrilled, but it was better than the htp's and rrd's that I tried. The htps (2x 73, 83, 93, and single 1212, 1312) were all too small to reach full mp in several different burns. The rrd's (2x 37,40) were too small. rrd 2x 47 is a possibility because it did get the 1/4 to 1/2 full mp within the 4 hour burn times, but the jar got pretty hot and a touch sooty.

I have been working on these buggers for quite a while and was pretty close to saying that the 2 eco 6's were my best burn and that I would go ahead with those. But, then the last 2 jars I tested (2 different scents) both had the same problem with the eco's curling down into the mp and actually extinguishing themselves! I like the self trimming but this is ridiculous!!! I have not had this happen before with any of the hexagon jars that I have single wicked with the eco's. Anyone else out there have this happen, or is this just a flukey bunch of bad wicks?

I don't know what else to try. Any experiences or help that you can offer would be so appreciated. I love the look of these jars, but double wicking is kicking my booty!

Here is the link for the jars http://secure.candlesupply.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?queries_index=index7&title_bar=16oz%20Country%20Comfort%20Jar&recordno=4&Product_CatalogID=2732&ProductCodeID=47&ProductSubCodeID=203&NewProduct=0

Jessie

It can be hard to diagnose these probs when you can't see what's happening, so I may be off base here, but I have a crazy idea. Is it possible you went in the wrong direction by wicking up when 2 x ECO 4 didn't work out?

2 x ECO 6 sounds like a lot of firepower for one jar, which would account for the heat you mentioned. I know the ECOs curl a lot but I've never seen one double over into the wax. Maybe 2 x ECO 6 consume so much wax that they get real long and curl over.

Why don't you try poking in 2 x ECO 2 and see how those do. Maybe the ECO 4s were also burning too fast and drowned out due to tunneling into the center.

Even though the ECOS are self trimming wick, they still may need to be trimmed sometimes. In this jar, I have had no problems wicking most of my FOs with 2 73's and some heavier FOs with 2 83s. . Have you tried or considered other wicks than the ECOs or HTP? CDs and RRDs work well in EZSoy. Maybe try 2 CD 8's as a starting point or 2 RRD 34 or whatever the next size down would be?

Thank you for the quick replies.

Top- I wicked up on the eco 4's because the the 4's were not giving me a decent flame at all. They were tiny and I came to the conclusion that I would never get a full mp before they actually piddled out on me.

The other odd thing with the wicks curling back into the mp is that they were only a 1/4" long at the time.... not excessive. But, I am going to give the eco 2's a try anyway. I am willing to try anything at this point.

It seems as though I have always had to wick up with the eco's in the ez soy. But, they have worked well for me up until this point. Thanks for your idea and I'll let ya know how it works out.

Meridith, I do trim my ecos between burns, even though they are self trimming. I am going to try again with the htp's. I know that a whole lot of people like to dw with them in soy. I don't have any CD's atm. They are the only wicks that I have not tried yet.

Thanks again for the replies

I have some Ecos from one company that do the same thing...curl and extinguish themselves. Others don't. My guess might be the wicks. Someone mentioned twisting the wick before putting it in and I thought maybe doing this might reduce the curl a bit and make it burn straighter up. Now to figure out which way to twist. Not sure if this would help, but worth a quick try. Beth

Thank you Lightning Bug. I am glad to hear that it isn't just me. I have worked with these wicks for a long time and not had a problem with them until now. I would hate to have to retest my whole line! I will definately give the twisting a try!