Re-Selling Fo's?

tonyalc

Re-packaged FO in small bottles can be used in/for...

Re-scenting used wax melts in oil burners that have lost their scent.

To freshen old potpourri

To re-scent the paper car freshners or the corn cob freshners.

Electric or tealight oil burners

Light bulb rings

To re-scent Smelly Jellies

to re-scent dipped critters

You can use the oil to scent Pine cones to use a potpourri

You can add a few drops on a cotton ball and place in the bottom of the trash can.

I think maybe she means refresher oils for potpourri-that's what I thought of when I read refresher oils. And actually, they'd be perfect for spraying and livening up potpourri around the house-kind of like recycling the old instead of buying new.

LOL, CM is right ON! I agree with everything he just posted. :D

I will have to say, though, that this lady requesting an oil was specifically wanting it for her direct product line... whether it was soaps or candles, B&B,..I didn't ask but she stated that she has a small business.

Here's what I came up with and offered her:

1oz. = ($2.99)

2oz. = ($4.99)

4oz. = ($8.50)

8oz. = ($13.50)

16 oz. = ($22.95)

I'm not out to make a killing this way...just worth my time and supplies, I guess.

LOL, CM is right ON! I agree with everything he just posted. :D

I will have to say, though, that this lady requesting an oil was specifically wanting it for her direct product line... whether it was soaps or candles, B&B,..I didn't ask but she stated that she has a small business.

Here's what I came up with and offered her:

1oz. = ($2.99)

2oz. = ($4.99)

4oz. = ($8.50)

8oz. = ($13.50)

16 oz. = ($22.95)

I'm not out to make a killing this way...just worth my time and supplies, I guess.

Aromatique's Price for 1/2oz is $8 even Wal-Mart price is about $1.50 for 1/4oz that's $6.00 per 1oz.

I charge...

1oz - $5.00

2oz - $7.00

4oz - $12.00

8oz - $22.00

You should not be selling uncut/concentrated Fragrance Oil directly to customers. In it's uncure form, it is NOT meant to be used in potpourri burners or as a refresher oil. You should first cut the FO with DPG and THEN sell it. It's too dangerous in its concentrated form.

You should not be selling uncut/concentrated Fragrance Oil directly to customers. In it's uncure form, it is NOT meant to be used in potpourri burners or as a refresher oil. You should first cut the FO with DPG and THEN sell it. It's too dangerous in its concentrated form.

I sell it 100% un-cut with no problems and I know of a lot of other candle companies that do too, even some of the major name brands.

Here is a pic of Aromatiques and it's says 100% Fragrance Oil on the back of the box. http://www.aromatique.com/ click on shop online

BTW - I put warnings on my labels.

Click pic to enlarge

post-219-139458409323_thumb.jpg

I sell it for the sole purpose of refreshing the scents for fixins..not for use in burners and my customers know that.

I have sold some to candle makers for their candles also. I would hate to mix it with dpg and then sell to a candle maker who then gets a bad candle and is mad at me.. Ya know!

Anyone can go to a site that sells oils and order whatever they want.. who's to say what they use it for.

Thanks for all the info Candle Man.. YOur prices are what mine are :D

• 3 weeks later...
So why is it sellable to us? What makes it dangerous? I see alot of products that say 100% Fragrance Oil. Now that I think about it, all of the "refresher oils" I have picked up say 100% FO. Just curious.

Well, I'm a bit confused now. When I started selling my products, I made an appointment with a product liability lawyer and had him look over all my labeling and warnings. The only thing he had a problem with was the refresher oil, it was uncut. He told me that I could not sell a manufacturer product as a consumer product that it would have to be cut. I gave him the same argument about products on the market that say 100% Fragrance Oil, he said they are not labeled uncut and fragrance oil whether cut or uncut is still fragrance oil. Is what he told me wrong?

I did look at a bottle from C&S and it is printed right on the bottle for manufacturing use only. Looked at the Aromatique site too and they sell light bulb rings on the same page as the oils. If they were uncut wouldn't some of those oils have too low of a flash point to use in a light bulb ring?

I would feel more comfortable cutting the fragrances before selling to customers. Since different fragrance oils have different flashpoints there's no telling what the customers are doing with the uncut refreshers. They could put it on any heating elements such as vacuum filters, radiators, lightbulbs, etc so I would play it safe. Uncut fragrance oils that we buy from suppliers are meant for candle and soap manufacturing, not reselling to customers. If you are going to sell uncut to customers then you really have to educate them on what they can't do with it.

:)

He recommended I contact one of my suppliers.They recommended 70% cutting oil - 30% FO. If I remember correctly they told me that 70/30 was a perfume oil concentration.

There is some information about refresher oils I saved the other day when I was shopping at The Candlemakers Store. Here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.thecandlemakersstore.com/category/faq.candlemaking_formulas/

There you go, here's your answer from The Candlemaker's site. Thank you DeeB!! Better be safe than sorry.

"Never use straight fragrance concentrate for refresher oils. This can be dangerous for people who do not know how to properly use and store the materials. The undiluted fragrance oils are to be used in manufacturers settings only where they are handled and used properly and kept away from children and other hazards. They are much too concentrated and can be dangerous in a non commercial setting."