I think I've finally made a great candle!

TxGirl

I have finally found a candle that I am really, really happy with!

16 oz. Golden Harvest canning jar, 12 oz 6006 wax, 1 oz FO, LX16 wick. This amount of wax and oil filled the jar at exactly 16 oz. And It is burning exactly the way I want it to burn - finally! The melt pool is melting perfectly, ever so slowly spreading out to the sides (spreading evenly too), it's the perfect depth too, not deep and wasteful, but shallow with the slow gradual melting out toward the sides. Perfect flame size, medium, not too tall and not too short. Scent throw is out of this world both cold and hot.

I'm a happy camper. :) It's taken weeks for me to get these results!

Well, I spoke too soon! I thought I had it right, but unfortunately it's not quite burning the way I wanted. It burns OK, but not perfect. Has anyone successfully wicked a 16 oz Golden Harvest Mason jar? I have gone through wick after wick after wick and still I'm not getting the perfect burn! Grrrrr :confused:

Yeah, it could be the shape of the jar. If the mouth of the jar is smaller than the rest of the jar, you're going to have a problem with air flow. The best containers to use are ones that are pretty much consistent in size at both the top and the bottom. That's not to say that you can't use containers that are of differing sizes on the top and bottom, it's just that the bigger the difference is, the more difficult it's going to be to wick. Also, square containers can be difficult to wick as well, I've found that I almost always have to double wick those in order to get the corners to melt down along with the rest of the candle.

Thanks for your reply, Fern. I'm going back to the basics today and using a wide mouth mason jar instead. I am so fed up and frustrated with that Golden Harvest jar. Maybe I'll tackle it again (eventually) after I get more experience. I've tried so many different wicks with those Golden Jarvest jars. I feel like pulling my hair out. I figure why ruin my fun over it. It's not worth it. ;) I'll try that jar again some other time. In the meantime it looks like I'll have about 2 cases of Golden Harvest drinking glasses. haha ;)

In the meantime it looks like I'll have about 2 cases of Golden Harvest drinking glasses. haha ;)

LOL - good to see you still have your sense of humor! :D We thought we "had it" down with our jars at one time.....then tested a few more jars and found that we weren't even close! So frustrating!! But we learned alot along the way and we think we have it down.....but that could change in a heartbeat! :rolleyes2

Good Luck!