My Candles are Sweating

I've never used that wax before but 1/2 oz of fo pp of wax really wouldn't be enough to get much scent throw, unless, it was a super strong fo to begin with. I know that when I make mottled paraffin pillars, I always get a ton of sweating initially, which I continue to wipe off until it's done expelling the fo, then they are fine. To have this happen in a container wax would not work at all, as you can see by what you've got there. Could it be that you didn't mix the fo well enough? Which fo did you use and did you weigh it or measure it?

I used Nature's Garden Candy Corn and I measured it out - not weighed. I guess it is possible that I didn't mix it well enough. There were also some air bubble in the candle, could those have affected it? Maybe I poured too fast. Thanks for your feedback :-)

It can take a lot of testing to use these mottling container paraffins to best effect.

As Fern pointed out, you need strong FOs because the wax won't hold much more than 5% fragrance, and it can be considerably less if the solubility of the FO isn't good.

Some surface oil is normal when you make the candle. It dries up within a day or two. If it seems excessive, or you get seepage after burning, you can try adding maybe 1 1/2 TBS stearic. Problem is, if you add enough to decrease the mottling, the wax will pull away from the glass.

Layering is a little fancy to try off the bat with this wax. Maybe you can make an unlayered one and see if you get better results. Get the wax up to 190-200 to incorporate the FO and make sure it's mixed in completely. Pour the candle at 175-185.

We use the IGI 2281, but don't want the mottled look. We use Additives in our wax, and get creamy smooth looking candles. We use 1 oz per lb w/o problems. I can't help ya if you are looking for the mottled look. But doing layers with this wax is not really that hard to do.

We heat our wax till melted well, (we don't do temps anymore..sorry :wink2: ), then add Additives, fragrance and color. For Layers, for this, we would do a lb of each. HTH

Steph in tx

• 4 years later...
We use the IGI 2281, but don't want the mottled look. We use Additives in our wax, and get creamy smooth looking candles. We use 1 oz per lb w/o problems. I can't help ya if you are looking for the mottled look. But doing layers with this wax is not really that hard to do.

We heat our wax till melted well, (we don't do temps anymore..sorry :wink2: ), then add Additives, fragrance and color. For Layers, for this, we would do a lb of each. HTH

Steph in tx

Steph....pm'ed you.:)