Need help with votive wicks please!

Well I made votives with ecosoya vb, and used htp 62 wicks. The scent throw is decent, and the melt pool is good however it doesnt extend all the way to one of the sides. I cant tell if its because the wick curls, and it just gets one side better, or if I need bigger wicks, like HTP 73. OR do you think its just because the wicks arnt perfectly centered? So I dont know if i should get bigger wicks, get some wick pins to be sure they are centered. or use a different type of wick? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :cheesy2:

Laura

I would recommend burning it a few times before making a change on a wick in your votives. A lot of times as it gets down lower into the container, it melts the hangup on the sides. If it is just a small amount, and you wick up you run the chance of overheating your container. I have been successful wicking votives with anywhere from a HTP52 to a HTP73. And in my experience, they all burn close to the same in the votive. But it could be my wax, as I use KY Puresoy. The HTP’s do a slight curl on the end, and sometimes will burn more on one side than the other, but it always seems to catch up, if it is wicked properly. But if it were me, I would give it a few more burns before wicking up.

they are almost burned all the way, its been three burns. i have them lit for quite a while before i blow them out. i keep scraping the side off that isnt melting lol. i wonder if they just arnt centered completely? i tried to by sight...to center it right. How many of you use wick pins?

Laura

Well in that case it's worth trying a size up if you're alert for soot or too much heat.

Centering will certainly affect the burn but you don't want it to be overly sensitive to that. If you use a flat braid type of wick the flame will tend to go off center no matter if the wick is perfect, plus wick pins are no guarantee of a perfectly centered wick either because a large percentage of them are bent or off-center themselves!

I just cant figure out if I should wick up, to HTP 73, or should I try a different type of wick? What is your opinion? This wax seems to need a very hot and larger sized wick! But I am not liking the curling! It leaves some left on the side. Please please help! Does anyone here make votives with ecosoya vb and what type wick do you use? I wonder if i should try a different wax too, i might order a sample of that KY votive/pillar. Let me know what you all think please!!!

Thank you so much!

Laura

I just cant figure out if I should wick up, to HTP 73, or should I try a different type of wick? What is your opinion? This wax seems to need a very hot and larger sized wick! But I am not liking the curling! It leaves some left on the side. Please please help! Does anyone here make votives with ecosoya vb and what type wick do you use? I wonder if i should try a different wax too, i might order a sample of that KY votive/pillar. Let me know what you all think please!!!

Thank you so much!

Laura

This wax does require a much larger wick than other soys, from my experience. I have started mixing it with a softer soy Pillar blend (KY actually) I have found I can use the smaller wicks now. I like LX series in Ecosoya/Ky wax. I was running into the issue of having too large of a flame when I wicked up and too small at the next size down. If you find you have this issue too, mixing the waxes works for me. :smiley2: