Is there two types of J223?

I just started buying my wax from a local dristributor instead of ordering online to save on shipping today. I used Honeywell (Astor lite) J223 from my online company. The local distributor I purchased from today also had (Astor lite) J223 but from International Group who bought out Honeywell. The wax is a totally different blend. The Honeywell (Astor lite) J223 is creamier almost like butter and is truly a 1 pour wax. The International Group (Astor lite) J223 is harder and needs a second pour. Anyone know anything about this? I had a good blend going for my candles using another wax with the Honeywell version but apparantly it's not being made anymore and supplies will run out.

I just started buying my wax from a local dristributor instead of ordering online to save on shipping today. I used Honeywell (Astor lite) J223 from my online company. The local distributor I purchased from today also had (Astor lite) J223 but from International Group who bought out Honeywell. The wax is a totally different blend. The Honeywell (Astor lite) J223 is creamier almost like butter and is truly a 1 pour wax. The International Group (Astor lite) J223 is harder and needs a second pour. Anyone know anything about this? I had a good blend going for my candles using another wax with the Honeywell version but apparantly it's not being made anymore and supplies will run out.

same exact wax. Not one bit of difference. :wink2:

OK, if there is no difference in the J223, what could have caused my wax to be darker in appearance and harder. I can hold this wax in my hand and it's not sticky. My other J223 has more of a consistency of shortening. What are the effects of poorly kept wax from temperatures or age or something like that? Anybody know?

This has been an ongoing debate! Some swear nothing has changed, other swear that it has. I happen to agree that it's not the same wax that I used to buy. I get a lot more wet marks now, have to do a second pour, and I zap the tops of every candle now checking for sinkholes. I never had to do that before.

Do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots of opinions on this!

OK........ No one will EVER convince me that the good old J223 formula hasn't been tinkered with.

I opened a new case today and thought it looked different..... Well! I put 7 lbs. in my Presto Pot to melt and once melted, the entire bottom of the pot is full (and I mean covered!) with bubbles. There are globuls of water collecting and when touched with a stir stick, they rise to the top and explode.

Checked the case and there is a sticker which reads:

PARAFFLEX 4633/ASTOR-LITE J-223

*Yes, it has two f's

I've had a problem with J223 before having water in it, but this stuff looks like it is going to be nothing but problems!

Anyone else?

Ginger

OK........ No one will EVER convince me that the good old J223 formula hasn't been tinkered with.

I opened a new case today and thought it looked different..... Well! I put 7 lbs. in my Presto Pot to melt and once melted, the entire bottom of the pot is full (and I mean covered!) with bubbles. There are globuls of water collecting and when touched with a stir stick, they rise to the top and explode.

Checked the case and there is a sticker which reads:

PARAFFLEX 4633/ASTOR-LITE J-223

*Yes, it has two f's

I've had a problem with J223 before having water in it, but this stuff looks like it is going to be nothing but problems!

Anyone else?

Ginger

I don't know where you get yours but Bitter Creek South has J223 and I haven't had any problems with it in a while.

Although it's never happened to me, I've heard for years of people occasionally getting J223 with water in it. Not and IGI issue.

As for changes in the wax, I can't speak for the now labeled IGI J223 (the paraflex 4633) but there have been variations in this wax long before IGI bought them, so it's not necessarily related to the buy-out. There are (what seem to be pretty broad) specs to follow. As long as it falls between the high & low specs, it's acceptable.....but in doing so can cause quite a difference from batch to batch.

I bought my first my first J223 from BCN about 4 years ago, it was soft but very firm to the touch, you couldn't squeeze through a slab.Then I started buying from Candlewic (closer) and it was the same, for a while. Then I bought a couple 100 #'s and it was so soft I could easily pinch through a slab with my thumb and forefinger. This was pre-IGI. Started producing sink holes too where I'd never had any before. No burn difference, but more of a pain. Now, it's back to the old firm stuff.....this is still labeled as Astor.

None of this means much other than to say that the differences have been there for a long time, long before IGI. JMO.

• 2 months later...

I think it depends on where your supplier got their wax from :) I read somewhere a wax may not be necessarily manufactured the same if it is brought from a plant, say that is located in Canada and one that is located in lets say Texas, even though both plants manufacture the same type of wax formula. Ex. buy IGI parafin from a Texas candle supplier, buy that same wax from a candle supplier in lets say Wisconsin, they may perform and look differently.:)

I got some J223 from Candles & Supplies, it was sticky, like shortening, soft I got some J223 from Alabaster and it was harder, not as sticky, was not as easy to cut up. But since I have been using J223 in the 8 oz mason jars, I have had to repour except last night when I used a 5 in wide apothecary jar, for some reason, I didn't have to top it off:)

Thanks for your response. It's the first that made sense. Actually, the first batch of J223 I ordered came from Cajun's down south and it was like shortening and didn't need a second pour, then the others I have ordered were closer to home and came from PA which was alot harder and required a second pour.

well, after using Astorlite V wax for the last 7 yrs, I just got a new case that doesn't act anything like the old did. It had those bubbles at the bottom of the presto pot like mentioned above and the shrinkage was horrible! Even the second pour shrunk and left this huge bump around the wick. I experimented pouring real cool, nothing would work. I could not get one votive to look good. I even mixed some 366 into it. I hate that they change it and think we're too stupid to notice!

One safe bet if you're within reach is to buy it from CandleScience.

Ah....not true, unfortunately. Have started getting my J223 from Candlescience instead of BCN or Candlewic because shipping is cheaper. This is the new IGI labeled stuff.....and it's downright full of water. Have never had the problem before but the production end of the slabs are just loaded with pockets of water. What a PITA.

I know it's not Candlescience's fault and will continue to buy from them :)

I used to get my J223 from Cajun and stopped almost 2 years ago. It had horrible sink holes and the blocks were hard not soft as originally. I asked Pam & Mike about it and they contacted the mfgr. and they were told there wasn't any changes.....I knew I hadn't lost my mind so I started looking for a more dependable one pour and have now been using JS 50/50 blend for over a year now and love it. I've got some of her 70/30 in to test and I've also got some from Greenleaf so I'll see which one of those is better.