Let's talk about...

KristinesShower

Cutting costs here and there.

After the bag thread, I thought maybe we need a thread like this too. I've thought about the bag issue and I am still undecided, but was wondering what else we as business owners can do to cut costs.

I will start - bags for the store, craft shows, etc (buying cheaper ones)

I already buy in bulk, so that is already done :undecided

Not willing to buy cheaper ingredients - so that is out...

Looking for closer suppliers to save on shipping or using suppliers that can use my account for shipping...

Um...what else is there? Let's get a good discussion going - I've cleaned out all of my storage, sold it all off and my house is clean already. My feet are the size of Bozo's and I wanna talk about saving money :grin2:

Jenny you are so funny.

A private co-op group, anyone interested in this avenue pm me. I have some ideas that I have worked out and would like to get something like this going.

Another thing I have learned, and I know this is a money saver with wholesale accounts, say no to special scents , items etc.... unless they are going to make it worth you while.

This is a great topic. Lets keep it going. Jenny put your feet up.

Making your own labels.. using stamps instead of labels.. I mentioned this for my bags.. it does save the costs of buying or printing out labels.. just a thought.. I know you don't want to make things look cheap.. a classy custom stamp can really jazz your bags up with a nice ink pad.. :D

A co-op group is an excellent idea--if you can find people in your area. The way co-ops happen here, it is a benefit, but with people spread all over the country, sometimes shipping can make it less of a bargain for some.

You can try to reduce advertising costs by partnering with your neighbors (the more the better) and doing joint mailers or newspaper ads.

If you have other gift type items, take advantage of cash and carry shows to save on minimums and shipping.

Another thing might be to evaluate your business and what days of the week are most profitable for you. Of course, in retail I don't think anything is set in stone. But, if you are paying employees to staff the store when sales don't cover their wages, perhaps you would be better off to be closed that day, and maybe extend your hours on other more profitable days.

I will try to give this some more thought.

This may not help you out...but may others...

IF you have to CHARGE it...it is NOT on sale!!!! You often spend waaayyy more in credit card costs than you "save" with the supplier.

Labor can be a drain on business (if paid hourly)...during slow days/times of year keep a minimum staff...cut hours here and there....I realize this may be hard since some of your employees are relatives...

There are already quit a few private co-op groups out there. You just need to find them. I agree with Sock on this one more often than not with people spread far and wide co-op for a lot of people are not such a good deal. You need to get a small group of people close to you. I co-op with several local business here already. When one of us needs some thing from a place we call the others and tell them we are making an order and a lot of times we can at least order enough to get the free shipping.

Don't charge on your credit card if you can't pay in full that month. I never pay a finance charge or a late fee. I write down every purchase I make and keep it right in front of the computer so I know what my monthly credit card charges will be and always pay in full.

I agree about the charging. I only have a debit card and an American Express card which I HAVE to pay at the end of EVERY month in full. Consequently, I not only enjoy the benefits of a sale, but I have no debt whatsoever. :yay: I think that not charging is the single best thing that you can do for your business. I could never skimp on ingredients, but I will skimp on jars and bottles and look for the best deals.