Problems with my soap

mysticglow

The last couple batches of soap that I have made CPOP has come out of the mold with a frosty white layer on top. Is this what I have heard called ash? What causes it? I don't really think that I've done anything different as far as the methods that I'm using. :undecided I am trying a few different recipes. Are there certain oils that cause this? I really don't like the way it looks.

I am one that likes the ash. I use individual molds and leave the ash on them. In my experience, it does not seem like the oils that cause this but the FO or EO.

HTH.

The batch I did yesterday didn't have any FO or EO. It was only Olive, Coconut and Castor. No color or fragrance. :undecided

The last couple batches of soap that I have made CPOP has come out of the mold with a frosty white layer on top. Is this what I have heard called ash? What causes it? I don't really think that I've done anything different as far as the methods that I'm using.

Was it tiny bubbles? That happens to me sometimes; I just trim them off. Did you have the mold covered while in the oven?

e

Was it tiny bubbles? That happens to me sometimes; I just trim them off. Did you have the mold covered while in the oven?

e

I had the lid on it that comes with the upland molds. It kind of looks like little bubbles but they are white and frosty looking. Sort of like the spray snow stuff that you buy at Christmas and spray on your windows for decoration. :undecided

I'll just trim it off and go from there. Maybe the next batch will turn out better. Thanks, Judy