Try again

snow

Well my guess would have to be the LX as far as buring hottest. In the wrong application though, they will often drown because they burn so hot they burn down instead of out, resulting in a weak flame or none at all.

In your cored wicks, cotton is hottest, paper & then zinc. Zinc though it burns the coolest will often produce or appear to be hotter as it generally remains stable in most waxes.

Maybe this site will help you :grin2:

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/atkins_pearce_candle_wicks.php

Look under Wedo for you LX/ECO (German Wicks).

This melting pot jar is 3 in. across and I am using J50 wax. I also thought I could single wick this jar but it wasn't burning the way I wanted it to. Either to much hang up or to much melt pool and black soot. I've tried several Zinc wicks and ECO 10 & 12. I think I'll try an 8 maybe. It's got me baffled that nothing seems to burn right, thats why I tried the double wick, which started out great and then drowned out later down the road! The double wick seemed to get to hot, so back to single testing, I guess. Thanks for your help, I need it...:confused: Dee

Yeah, you cannot double wick that it is to small. Are you adding anything to the J50? What zinc wicks did you try for single wicking that you got smoke?

My experience with J50 and I don't have a lot but it does tend to smoke. Not as much as it use to as I the last time I tested it, I felt the formula had changed. You may be wicking to large and not giving it a chance to catch up after a couple burns. So much depends on the shape of the jar and if the neck is smaller it can cause more issues with smoking when you get down in there.

What is your reason for going down in the ECO's? Are those 2 sizes to large? Smoking? Did you get a full melt pool? What other wicks do you have?

I do not add anything to the wax, it burns great for me in the 1/2 pt. jj. I use the 51-32-18 Z in the jj and no problems! This jar does have a smaller opening but not much, I got it from the jar store. And I don't fill it with wax, just to the top of the widest part, know what I mean? I saw in an old post where someone used this jar and had to double wick, thats why I tried it. But I am going to go back to testing single wicks. I have Zinc, Eco and LX sample packs of wicks, but I'm not sure what the difference is in all of them. The LX, I'm thinking, didn't work at all in this jar. The Zinc 60-44-18 made the jar black, ECO 10 left soot on jar and Eco 12 did ok..but not as good as I like it to be. I was about ready to give up, but I'd really like to use these for Xmas, just because they are prettier than just a plain JJ. Thanks so much for your help, any other ideas? Dee

OK, I looked up the jar and it's the melting pot, not the pean pot right? Cause the bean pot is actually a bit wider. Believe it or not it don't take much neck to throw the whole thing off. That's why I despise any jar with a smaller neck but yes they sure are pretty.

LX 18 or LX 20 (possibly higher but then it can be a flame height issue/smoking)

44-32-18z or 51-32-18z

ECO 8 providing you established a melt pool on the 10.

Make 3 testers, no wicks. Let them set a couple days so they are fully hardened. Poke some holes in and stick one with LX 18, one with 44-32-18z and one with the Eco 8. Compare each type of wick and how they burn. If it's a no go, try your next size. If those don't work then you will need some other type of wicks to test as you have already went up with smoking issues. Possibly the CD's would give you more options in sizing. I have a few other things in mind but let's see if you can get it first. I would hate to tell you to tweak your formula if you don't have too.