Any other Joy Wax users out there?

I have been using this wax for a while now and love it! For me, it is the best one for me to use for several reasons. That being said, I use 1 oz. of FO pp with 51-31-18z wicks and those are doing an excellent job with no hang ups etc. My question is for those of you that do use this wax, if you are using this same wick also, do you get the soot when you get to the bottom of the candle? I have not had this happen until I burn the candle for longer than 4 hrs. and have about 2" of wax left in the bottom of the container. I use the 8 oz. straight side JJ's also. I know that I should not burn the candle for any longer than 4 hours at a time and should discard the candle when there is about an inch of wax left, but, just wanted to know what would happen if someone were to do this. I followed the NG sites recommendations on the wicking and also have tried the cc wicks in this same size with the same results. I am just wondering if anyone else has the same thing happen. The candle burns great for me without the soot and black rims during the burns (even past 4 hrs.) until the wax gets to the 2" point so could it be that the depth of the wax remaining causes this?

I have used Joy wax in the past, and just like paraffin, when it gets to the bottom of the jar it tends to soot. My personal observation, and opinion is, once the wick gets that far into the jar it has reached a point where the air circulation is much less, the jar becomes hotter melting the wax quicker, so the wick starts to "puff" thus producing some soot. I have found this to be true with the parasoy blends also. Could you wick down one wick size and still get the burn and throw you want? If so, I would try that to see if you can get rid of, or lessen the sooting issue. HTH

Thanks! Guess I can try that and see if it would work. I don't normally burn for long periods of time like this but just wanted to see what would happen with doing this. Most of the time I stop burning the candle even when the wax gets this low and use the remaining wax for my warmer since I can't see lighting a candle with that little wax left. It was just an experiment I was trying anyway b/c I am sure that alot of people will try to get as much as they can out of a candle and there is nothing wrong with that so I wanted to see just how much I could actually get out of one of mine. I will try to wick down and see how that works.

**Just to add here also, I made a mistake with the wick size but I think most know that I meant to say I use a 51-32-18z. What a dingbat I am today!!**:embarasse

Or, you could purchase some of the extra long wick tabs. These tabs will put the wick out with about 3/8" - 1/2" of wax left. Then the sooting problem would not be an issue since the remaining wax will not burn.

I know you cannot control your customers and how they will burn your candles, even with explicit instructions. You can control how they are made though to some extent. HTH

I know you cannot control your customers and how they will burn your candles, even with explicit instructions. You can control how they are made though to some extent. HTH

This is exactly why I wanted to try them out. Thanks for the suggestions. I am ordering wicks today and will do both the smaller size wick and what you just suggested. I probably have made a big mistake by not checking this before now but I have not been selling much to other than family and friends, they have been brutally honest with me on my candles. However, I have also told them about discarding the candle when there is just about an inch of wax left since that is what the labeling states and none of them had said anything to me about burning longer than I told them. Maybe they wouldn't tell me that since they were given instructions about this...who knows? Thanks again for the help and yes, it did help with giving me a starting point on what to do and of course, where to spend more money! LOL!! :D

Hi..I use joy at 50% and soy at 50%. I use 8 oz.jj too and HTP wicks. The last batch I bought seems to crack and tunnel along the wicks after cooling tho. I have been heat gunning them but I am going to try heating the jars. HTH

Hi Theresa,

I'm just curious if you tried a smaller wick with this jar. I tried those wicks in a jar similar in size and found them to be just a bit too big. JJs narrow as they go down. I'm wondering if that is the problem.

I have some curing now with the 44-24-18 and 44-28-18. I am itching to light them, but want to go the three days cure time.

Fern-Marie