HELP!!!! CC processing..problem

pamperme

..I know I saw a thread on here about merchant accounts and printing of receipts NOT being alowd to have the full account number on them anymore. I need this info ASAP..does anyone know where I can find this info printed or that I can print off the net..

hubby went to burger K**G and they left his receipt out and when he asked for it..it had ALL his info on it..full cc #/name/exp date..and he was PEEEEDD off..he is asking me for this info while he is on the road trying to take care of it..anyone could have walked off with that info or even and employee.

If you have the link on here please point me to it..I looked back several pages..and could not find it..thought maybe it was under an 'off' heading.

He already called the bank and they immediatly canceled his debit card. They were not happy..he then call the corporate office and they were very very suprised and concerend..but the manager of the restaurant did not seem even a bit worried..which is where the problem is.

she is actually going to call him back in an hour so I have time to get PROOF that it is a regulation..:confused: If they process cards..shouldn't they know that..I don't even use my terminal anymore and I still get updated info in the mail and I stick it in a file incase I activate my machine again... I wish I was at home I could pull that info out and send it to her

I did email hubby the links on his blackberry so he could have the info infront of him.

Does your husband eat a lot of fast food or does it just seem that way?

Not a very healthy diet. I'd be concerned.

He is on the road ALL day..usually 10-18 hours a day..he takes a packed lunch in a cooler but that only stays cold for so long and then gets nasty..he also has no way to heat food up. He usually gets by with what he takes unless he is on an 18 hour day..which seems to be often the last week. :tongue2:

Not my preferd diet..unless it was Olive Garden everyday!:D

soooooo...corporate made them unplug the machine and they are not alowed to take cc's until further notice..hubby is to stop on his way to a call to get free gift cards for his trouble of not having a debit card for the next 10 days...and they thanked him for notifying them as this could have been alot worse if someones card info was stolen and they were reported for not complying they could lose their abiblity to take cards..

so for now all is good...now on that food issue..just because someone eats out does not mean they don't eat well..there is something called grilled chicken...he drinks diet pop/water..and does not eat many fries. He usually eats better from fast food than he does when taking his lunch anyway..brownies and balogna are not the best foods. :tongue2: But we have to do what we can when we work these types of jobs. I do get him to take fruit in his packed lunch sometimes.

Being on the road all the time is not an easy job.

You can also report these issues directly to Mastercard and Visa. We used to get complaints all the time when I worked for a CC company, and Visa/MC definitely follow up. I have seen merchants lose their CC privileges for a long period of time of rule violations. You can find the Visa/MC numbers online or by calling your CC company.

A lot of it probably has to do with people's inexperience. You only get people that follow the rules if they care to follow the rules.

Glad it got worked out :)

Why would he cancel the debit card? Up until July, it was common for all the numbers to display. Where is the sudden risk?

I don't know where you've been shopping (or eating) Eugenia, but everywhere I go receipts just show the last four digits of my cards, and this was a practice in place well before July.

I don't know where you've been shopping (or eating) Eugenia, but everywhere I go receipts just show the last four digits of my cards, and this was a practice in place well before July.

DITTO...as far as reading ...I belive it started in 2003 and they had until July 2006 to comply..three years for those who already had machines and one year for those who did not..and time is up. This is why I am not hooking up my machine again..I don't want that info in my home..where I have to guard it..I went through HOURS of shredding documents from my shop in 2003 so I would not have those where others could get the info

I have not seen that info on my receipts for a very long time..neither has my hubby and that is why is noticed it right away.

for the knucklebuster...you should read those links.. and it varies by state.

It is good to know what is going on if you are taking these cards..I do all paypal now..and dont even have the web pro..just regular biz account...so I don't ever see their cc info. :D

Dont know what I will do later..probably have to go back to that route..but then I wont have to worry about it cause it will only print the last 4 once updated.

Does anyone know if you can just do terminal updates or do you actually have to get a new machine for this. I paid $300 for mine ..and it is sitting in the basement in a box..really not wanting to do that again if I have to.

I have a manual swiper which also has all the info on the reciept. My merchant account has never stated that I had to comply with anything. There are actually quite a few places that have all the numbers printed. We have a BK and they have never had all of our CC numbers on it.

But if you and your DH are that concerned maybe you should use a protected CC #. I believe Visa & MC have those. Or better yet use cash.

Edited to add: I know the "compliance" says electronic, but really info is info, no matter if manual or electronic. Perhaps it is the individual Merchant accounts who are requiring this.

I emailed my merchant and they said it only applies to the electronic systems.. ;)
I wonder why, like I said info is info no matter if it is electronic or manual. I am actually not using my manual anymore for that reason in particular. I am going to be taking a laptop from now on and just entering it manually. Might take an extra minute, but I don't think the customers will complain vs. the info on paper. I did have one lady at the last show who didn't really want to trust me with her info,(even if I called it in). I told her the same as I told pamper, if she was that concerned she really should use cash. She didn't even want to give me a check. She did say she was a victim of Identity Theft, which I thought was even more so wierd that she went to a "Craft Show" without cash :rolleyes2 . She ended up buying 60.00 bucks worth from me lol.

Maybe it is because you only have the three (I think it's three??) receipts with the knucklebuster - one for customer, one for drawer and one for boss - that is how it used to work long time ago anyway. On my machine, you can get copies of whatever you did that day (of course mine only has the last 4 digits), but maybe the rule is in place for those working at the establishments.

Think about it - some kid is closing down the local fast food joint and decides to print off the day's charges, goes home and starts charging all kinds of things because he had access to all of those numbers. (shudder at the thought!)

Well, now that I think of it - all they would have to do is copy the number with the knucklebuster on a piece of paper. Wow, really makes you think!!

For all the technology today, I find that I feel more vulnerable than ever before. Seems like every time we turn around some company is 'apologizing' for releasing cc numbers in error, or having them stolen. :(

I've been in stores and ended up leaving -- instead of completing a purchase -- because I wasn't comfortable with the clerk who would end up handling my debit or credit card.

Hey at least you got their attention and got the problem to a halt for the time being....We were on vacation this summer and stopped at a McDonald's in Louisianna..Just as we got in the line to get our snacks the manager came out from behind the counter and LOCKED the entrance and exit doors...We were all locked in..she said they were too busy to have anymore customers inside..there may have been 20 people inside!! We emailed McDonalds.com...we recieved one email from them and a call from the head office in New Orleans...not an apology, not a darn thing from them...being as my hubby is Captain in the Fire Dept he knew this was against Fire codes...I tell you I was never more suprised that McDonald's responded the way they did...Hope they never have a fire and those doors get locked!

I know this doesn't pertain to your subject so much but wanted to share...always watch what they do inside these establishements

:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: How stupid can you be..LOCKING PEOPLE INSIDE A RESTAURANT. So what did they have to unlock the doors to let people out as they wanted to leave..that manager should not have a job! I think I would have DEMANDED an apology and then some for that..what if there was a medical situation..or yet a fire...does she think she could have unlocked the doors in time? WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE????????

Hey at least you got their attention and got the problem to a halt for the time being....We were on vacation this summer and stopped at a McDonald's in Louisianna..Just as we got in the line to get our snacks the manager came out from behind the counter and LOCKED the entrance and exit doors...We were all locked in..she said they were too busy to have anymore customers inside..there may have been 20 people inside!! We emailed McDonalds.com...we recieved one email from them and a call from the head office in New Orleans...not an apology, not a darn thing from them...being as my hubby is Captain in the Fire Dept he knew this was against Fire codes...I tell you I was never more suprised that McDonald's responded the way they did...Hope they never have a fire and those doors get locked!

I know this doesn't pertain to your subject so much but wanted to share...always watch what they do inside these establishements