Shaving soap?

idacandlelady

Remember when barbers used the real lathery soap in a mug. Are most of these shaving soap recipes going to lather like that? Can anyone point me to one that lathers like crazy? Also when you are done using it what happens to all the foamy lather in the cup? Do you rinse it out or does it settle back down to the bottom? Sorry about the dumb question but I bought some of the enamel mugs in the last co-op and I really want to make my FIL a kick butt shaving mug. Thanks for any help!!:D

Rebecca

I make shaving soaps and yes they do lather great. I sell mugs with shaving brushes and round replacement bars too. I can't keep the replacement bars in stock. I add a higher amount of castor for lather and bentonite clay to help add "slip" to the soap. The lather settles back down until water and the brush are added again. I'm not where I have my recipe availble to me right now but if you would like I can PM it to you later on.

Yes, you can pour into the mugs. Sorry I wasn't clear on that. That is what I do and I make round replacement bars for when they run out of the soap in the mugs. Those enamel mugs work great for shaving soaps. I bet your FIL will be thrilled with his shaving mug. My male family members have just loved theirs and couldn't believe how nice of a shave they got with it. And to be honest, a few of them were very skeptical about them.

Oregon Trail has them for @$3.50 ea. I haven't found any other place , at least not that close or reasonably priced. MMS has some for $25.00 ea.

When I PM you that shaving recipe, I'll send you a link to where I buy my shaving brushes. It was the cheapest price I found. And the company ships fast. :wink2:

Since it's so hard to find great b&b items for Men, this sounds so interesting to me. I'd like to know more about how it's used. I'm curious about if after the first use- does it look a mess? Is it still apealing to look at? I guess if you use the M&P pour recipie in the link it would be just like using a bar of soap- but it seems strange, lol. I always like to rinse the foam/bubbles off my soap when i'm done and let the water freely drip off. What happens to the excess water added? I'm one of those 'gotta see it to know' kind of people I guess... sooooooooo I'ma jes gonna give it a whirl! :cheesy2:

DH doesn't add water to the cup, just wets the brush good, shakes of the excess and starts twirling it on the soap. If a little more water is needed, he dips the brush quickly in the water to catch ''just a little'' and back into the cup. The less water you use and the more you work the brush, the thicker the lather....the more water, the more runnier the lather will be. If there is more suds in the cup than you want to leave, just give it a quick rinse and set upside down on a papertowel to drain.

..give it a try:smiley2: