2-Day Craft Shows

Candybee

I'm doing my first 2-day show this weekend. I am not sure if I should leave my products at my booth at night with a cover over them. I could pack them up but thats a lot of work to lay the candles and stuff all out again the next day.

What do you all do? I was planning to ask about security when I check in Friday but want to know what you all think.

I would have asked about security before I agreed to do the show.

I have a 2-day this weekend also. I do take the jars off the cardboard risers (dew and cardboard are not a good mix), then take the cash box, zip up the sides and go home. My show does provide overnight security.

I just did a two day show as you already know. There was no security so I had to pack up one night but it was worth it for my own piece of mind. It wasn't that big of a deal to have to put everything back out. I changed my booth look the next day to experiment anyway so that gave me a chance to change things.

I definately felt more comfortable knowing that my stuff was with me and not sitting at the show.

Hope that helps you a little.

Chauna

You don't say if it's an indoor or outdoor show. If it's indoor, I'd cover it and leave it. If it's outdoor...do you have a tent that you can enclose? If there's security, I'd leave it. I've done alot of outdoor shows and left my products. Never had anything taken. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it would be awful to pack it up...too much work. ;)

We just did a two day outdoor show....it was our first one. There was security there overnight (I didn't remember to ask before we booked it), but because we don't have "walls" yet :rolleyes2 , we had to pack it all up, then setup the next day. Since my partner couldn't make the second day, my DH came to the rescue, then stayed with me all day. He was more careful with unpacking and packing than I was! And you should have heard him explaining to the customers what a cachepot was, how to use it, what NOT to put in it.....he really does listen to me!:grin2:

We did leave the canopy, tables and chairs. Several others that had the ez-up's with walls (ohhh, how I envied them) left all their products there and I heard nothing about anything being taken.

Good Luck with your show!

My first 2-day I didn't have side walls either. I lowered the canopy at the legs and duct taped painters drop cloths all around it. It looked pretty wacky but everything was fine in the morning...ripped off the drop cloths, raised the canopy back up and ready to go. Painters drop cloths are cheap - around $4 for 3 rolls.

This year I have side walls! :D

My first 2-day I didn't have side walls either. I lowered the canopy at the legs and duct taped painters drop cloths all around it. It looked pretty wacky but everything was fine in the morning...ripped off the drop cloths, raised the canopy back up and ready to go. Painters drop cloths are cheap - around $4 for 3 rolls.

This year I have side walls! :D

Oh, if you could have seen us trying to lower the darn thing that first night, you would have laughed your butt off!! :laugh2: We had borrowed the canopy from a friend, and the whole time we were struggling with it, I kept saying over and over again, "We are never doing an outside show AGAIN until we have an EZ-UP....everyone on the board says don't waste your money on the cheap ones...."!!! It was the most frustrating experience I have ever had (well, it came in a close second to trying to wick a jar candle!! LOL)

We had drop cloths with us - it never occurred to me to use them that way, tho....something to think about until I have what I really want. Thanks!

Okay if it is outdoors, YOU MUST GET SIDEWALLS for your EZ-up. Get the zippered ones. I prefer to leave a light on inside of the booth so security can see if someone is moving around inside. (Or if the light is suspiciously off). YES out your product away. I usually a box for display candles only, so it is easier to pack and un pack versus unpacking 1 or 2 from every box. Take your money with you, and your register along with ANYTHING of value like a purse, radio etc.

If it is indoors, I leave everything as is, I cover my products with tablecloths. I empty my register, and leave the till open with the bill and change compartments out on the table. I usually leave stuff like my radio there n/p. Use common sense. Most shows DO provide security for extended shows. Good Luck with your show!

Definatly look at the area you are in, i was at a show a few weeks ago ( one that i have done for 10 years) we Zippered up the side walls and put the weights on the tent (show is on a boardwalk right next to the bay, so wind is a problem) well we went to check on the booth at 11pm because i am paranoid, everything was still standing.. Arrived back at 9 am the next morning to open up and 3 of my brand new sides had been slashed with a knife or something. No product taken. Atleast 15 vendors got vandled at the show.. so definatly look at what type of security they will be offering and at the area you are in..