basic recipe vs melt and pour soap

RXCMAS

Just wondering which of the two you prefer to use 1. melt & pour soap or make your own soap rom scratch?

Please explain the differences and why?

Which is better than the other?

I am a newbie so that is why i am asking questions and learning from you all. Thank you for being so helpful, i appreciate it.

stacey:cheesy2:

I make melt and pour because I love it, and because I am too chicken to try CP, even though it looks SO cool. I am just afraid of lye, and I am not patient. I could never wait for it to cure.

MP and lots of advantages, but then, so does CP.

Welcome to CT :)

I'm sure you have lots of questions about candles and B&B and will have many more. All of them are welcome. May I suggest though, doing a search on key questions, reading the FAQs and Newbie threads and reading through old posts(especially the archives of the old board). You will find much helpful info there and probably answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet. :)

I am still new to soaping myself but have been doing both, CP and M&P. Others can add a lot more to this, but what I've learned (and can remember) so far...

M&P is very simple. You can use a lot of different, cute molds. There are a few things you can add to it, but not as many as CP. It doesn't like having butters/oils added, but things like oatmeal and clays work fine. It tends to sweat when first unmolded and needs to be wrapped and sealed in plastic. There are a variety of bases, from goats milk to aloe to hemp, ets. There's also the clear bases. This is the only way you can get a clear soap. Many M&P bases can be a bit drying to the skin, though you can adjust it some. Most don't have a lot of lather.

CP(or any other method from scratch, though I've only done CP) you can make however you want. You can even use some cute molds if they'll take the heat. Since you use you own recipes(or others) you can adjust it to make the soap turn out with just the properties you want. You can make it out of just 1 or 2 oils, or you can get fancy and use a dozen exotic ones. You can make scrub bars, spa bars, add salt, sugar, dried herbs(select ones unless you want brown). It does involve using lye though and safety precautions must be takes. Protective gear, keeping children/pets away, etc. Once you start mixing, oils and lye water together, you can't stop, the process is timed and will continue without you.

As I said, this is just the tip of both methods. hopefully some others will add to it (and correct me if I've misstated anything). :)

Many M&P bases can be a bit drying to the skin, though you can adjust it some. Most don't have a lot of lather.

(and correct me if I've misstated anything). :)

SD stated that MOST dont have alot of lather, and that might be true in some cases, but I think it depends on which soap base you are using. I use SFIC soap bases, and get LOADS of lather. I mainly use either Goat's Milk or Shea, and both leave my skin very silky smooth! :grin2:

It really depends on what you want to do...I think M&P is easier, and if you want to get creative you can do so...but I love CP, it's so much fun to make and the bars are better and last longer IMO. I like how you can add different butters and oils. But, everyone has their own preferences...try both and see which one appeals to you.

Lots of good points already made. I like the nearly instant gratification of MP. You can make and unmold rather fast (when using shapes and such). It is very versitile and can be a lot of fun.

But as far as using a bar of soap that feels good on my skin - NOTHING compares to a good, old-fashioned lye and oils soap. :grin2:

Many M&P bases can be a bit drying to the skin, though you can adjust it some. Most don't have a lot of lather.

Really? I've never had that experience with it. Of course, ALL I have experience with so far is the Goat's milk. Everyone that got the goat's milk soap from me, LOVED it. I also loved it, and use it with my family. I have found it to make my skin very silky, and it lathers a ton.

Great points so far. I wanted to add that the reason I desire to branch out into CP soap (right now I only do M&P) is because my philosophy for my products is that they be as pure and natural as possible, without any unnecessary additives. M&P soap is more accurately described as a detergent, and while it is just as additive-laden as Dove, Ivory, etc, etc, I want to be able to offer my customers something that doesn't have six lines of ingredients on it, LOL!

I've tried tons of M&P bases. Silk and Shea, Olive Oil, Oatmeal, Goats Milk, etc, and always got great lather. I love that you can be so creative with M&P, and the molds that are available are ENDLESS! If you can think of it, there is probably a mold of it. LOL

But there is nothing like unmolding and batch of CP and thinking, "I made this"! And CP feels soooooo good on your skin!

Whichever you choose to do, good luck and have fun!

• 3 years later...

I've made CP quite a few times. One of my CP bars is in my shower right now that I'm trying to use up, and I have a few more to go after that bar and the bars from another batch are finished. Some I gave away in presents and I may do that with the ones I have left.

But I prefer m&P because it's less damaging to the FOs. The saponification process destroys some of them, and even when you hear someone having great success with a certain FO in CP it might not go the same with you. Your oils and amount of lye could be different. And with experts here like Prairie Annie helping us make a better quality m&p bar, there's plenty of good reasons to like m&p. ;)

I use M and P simply because I am too chicken and do not have time to make my own soap from scratch. I might one day if I get a bigger shop space. I have used many, many bars of soap made by different people. Some I loved and others not so much. The same goes for different M and P bases too. One thing I do disagree with is that all M and P bases are detergent laden and are just the same as store bought crappy soap. Here is the ingredient list for SFIC Goat's milk base:

Coconut Oil

Palm Oil

Castor Oil

Safflower Oil

Glycerin (kosher, of vegetable origin)

Goats Milk

Purified Water

Sodium Hydroxide (saponifying agent)

Sorbitol (from berries, moisturizer)

Sorbitan oleate (emulsifier)

Soybean protein (conditioner)

Titanium Dioxide (mineral whitener used in opaque soaps)

Now you have to admit that, that is a pretty nice list of ingredients. It is basic, so as you can read in another thread, any number of wonderful, fun ingredients can be added to the basic bar. Not only that, there is no limit on this earth to the colors, scents, shapes and sizes the base can be used to create. I do agree that in some aspects M and P is a short cut as compared to making CP or some other, from scratch, bar: however, someone else did the work to create the soap in a "real" way. It is sort of like breakfast cereal, we don't go out to the field and harvest the grain, grind it and create cereal out it at home. At least not usually, but if we do buy a ready made natural made with great ingredients and without chemicals cereal, is it not still a "real" product with the benefits of the natural ingredients?

SFIC, EBC's natural base and maybe some other soap bases do not contain SLS or other nasty chemicals, they are not detergents. That's why I choose to use both of them.

Another great thing about M and P is that if the bar doesn't turn out how you wanted it to, you can chop it up and do it again. You get Do Overs.:yay: :yay: I will never say a bad word about CP. It is a fantastic soap usually. I so admire the beautiful soap bars I see in the gallery and on web sites, but for some of us, at least right now, that is not the way we want to go. We do not offer a poor quaility product though if we choose a quality base.

Soapymomma

Tossing my 2cents into the pot..

I would stack my MP soap bar up against anybody's CP, HP or otherwise processed soap and do it proudly!

I'm biased now! I have made many a bar via the CP method of soaping, and Ive carefully picked my battles here.. and just in case anyone wonders, I have huge respect for all of my CP making friends, and am not in any way shape or form saying I make a better product. Not by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just saying I think mine can stack up!

I love making M&P but will one day include CP too. I have already taken a class and made my own lavender CP soap.

Whoever said you can't do much with M&P is wrong. Its like baking a cake-- there are so many varieties, scents, textures, additives, molds, that there are virtually millions of ways to make a M&P soap. The one thing you can't control is what is in your base. So you should always shop around and try out several bases before deciding what you want to use.

Also-- I have a bone to pick with whoever said it was drying to the skin. This is why you have to try a variety of bases. Not all bases are the same and there are good ones and bad ones.

I am like PA I prefer my M&P soaps over most others I've tried. I like CP soap too and have a friend that lives close by that makes wonderful CP. So when I want some I buy from her.

But I have tried some CP soap from others and believe me just because its made from scratch doesn't mean that its a quality soap. I've tried some CP stinkers that I threw away.

So a great bar of soap comes from experience and lots of testing no matter what process you use.

My best friend makes M&P and does an awesome job.. I get samlpes and they lather great and I don't have drying issues. She is truely and artist in that medium. Personally, I make soap from scratch. I have a mad scientist side that has control issues. I love the creating.. and like said before.. unmolding that creation is quite a rush. The wait for the curing can be a drag.. but I like knowing what and why the stuff that is in there is in there. I like to spoil myself and find making soap a delightful way to do it. Either way makes a nice soap.. kinda like the soy/paraffin isuse.. choose what you like and have fun.

• 7 months later...

I have a question..I love the cp soaps also..But for lots of reasons I cannot make it right now..Nor have the space.area etc to do so.

But I do lots of the m&p..and absolutely love it..you can be very creative.

I am wanting to see if anyone has experimented with adding salt to any m&P..and if so,what were your results?Did you like it?why or why not?I have been thinking of trying and havent seen anywhere that anyone has tried it yet.(unless I have missed it somewhere).

Thanks..

You are gonna get as many opinions as there are people posting with their thoughts on M&P vs. CP. I started out with M&P years ago and no matter which brand I bought (and I tried just about all of them), it was very drying to my skin and not a lot of lather. SFIC was one of the better ones, but still not what I was looking for in a soap, plus I hated the sweating. Since making CP, my skin loves it and I have tons of lather. You'll have to try both and see which you prefer. Have fun!!

I don't think one is better than the other myself. I do both but I love MP the best. I think it's because personally I am able to do more and add ingredients that don't change because of the saponification process making CP.

You will find a lot of differences in opinion on one being better than the other but I think it's comparing apples to oranges.

So why not try both and see which one you like the best. Even better, why limit yourself and just do both?

I am new to soaping also, so I decided to start with MP soap. I wanted to see what I could do with that first and I am enjoying it. I luv seeing all the work the CP soapers have shown on this board..and some day I am going to attempt it but right now I am having fun with the MP. I think I may be a little afraid of the lye, so I need to get over that:)

I love making both MP and CP for different reasons. They offer different kinds of fun.

But, IMO, the MP bases I've used just can't hold a candle to a good CP recipe. Also, there's something about knowing that you made a hearty bar of bubbly goodness from scratch that just can't be beat.

YMMV, of course. Some folks can doctor up a good cake mix and make something amazing out of it. I just prefer the idea of starting with the flour and sugar and mixing up the cake batter myself.

Either way, have fun!!