got soap supplies

heirloomoriginals

well, i bought some lye and some coconut oil tonight to try mu hand at cp!! Not sure which recipe I am going to try first (a basic one at that, LOL), but I am anxious and apprehensive at the same time!!!

The only problem is, I don't know when I am going to have time to try it because we are going to camp this weekend and next week my 5 year old starts preschool. On the days he has schoo, I will be at my mom's sewing (my job, but at least I don't have to pay for childcare).

I didn't even want to think about CP when I first started reading about it on here, but now I think I might try it because you can do so much with it!

Steph

Can someone tell me if this is a good recipe to start with? I got some beeswax this weekend at JoAnns (used a coupon) and it smells yummy all by itself. Can I use buttermilk in place of the water and do I have to adjust the lye or anything?

Also, if I want to do the HP method, can I use my normal crock pot and then use it again for food or should I find something else???

Steph

Just a few suggestions. Yes that's an okay recipe, but you might want to try a more basic one for your first try. The reason I say this, is because beeswax, honey and milk will all heat up your soap rather quickly and if it overheats you could get the alien brain look going on, or worse, seperation.

Personally I would avoid these 3 ingredients until you are a bit more comfortable with making soap..

Other than that, good luck, and most of all be safe and HAVE FUN!! :)

Oh and yes you "can" use your crock for food after making soap in it as long as it's washed very well, but after making soap for a while you will get some etching from the lye in it and then I'd be leary about using it. Again if it were me, I'd just find one at like a second hand store and dedicate that to soap only. :)

HTH and have fun!! :)

Thank you. I might just try a basic olive oil recipe, since that is so easy to find! I am working on an order and might get some more oils for later use!!!

I will also have to look for a second hand crock pot. Not sure which method I am going to use yet, but I will think about it. I hate waiting, so maybe HP is for me???

Steph

Thank you. I might just try a basic olive oil recipe, since that is so easy to find! I am working on an order and might get some more oils for later use!!!

I will also have to look for a second hand crock pot. Not sure which method I am going to use yet, but I will think about it. I hate waiting, so maybe HP is for me???

Steph

No need to look for a second crock. When you are done, it's soap LOL. HP is an excellent starting point for two reasons. You don't have to worry about lye and FO not playing nicely as the lye has dissipated when you add the FO after the "cook" and you get to see all the soap stages first hand. It gives you a good understanding of the process. Dissolving 1 Tablespoon of regular sugar in the water before adding the lye helps to make the batch more fluid and pourable.

e