Browsed a local candle factory today

Pam W

and I had to keep picking my lower jaw up off the floor. They've always made beautiful candles but today I saw lots of candles with horrible blisters, deep gouges from damaged molds, wicks loose in the pin holes....sure made me feel good about the quality of my candles.

Didn't go into the area where they pour the candles but you can see into part of it from the retail floor.

I bought a 3x3 Oriental Spice - when I got it home & unwrapped it the wick literally lifted out of the candle...compared it to my supply of sample wicks & I'd say it's a HTP 83. Of course, I don't have a clue as to what type of wax. Just blew it out after a 3hr burn, it did great & the scent is nice. Have never had any complaints about their candles or the way they burn. I was just so surprised that the blistered candles were even on display. They were really ugly. The ones with the gouges looked like they have been 'keyed'. Oh well, maybe they have a new employee in training.:confused:

Hi Pam,

I recently aquired a new account. They are the third largest manufacturer of candles for North America. I toured their plant (all of it!) and like you, was amazed at some of the things I saw there.

After the tour, I spoke with the owner of the company who asked what I thought. The first thing that popped out of my mouth was that I would never consider selling a candle with crooked wicks. Thank God, he laughed!!

Deb

Before I started making candles, I never recognized the imperfections of store-bought candles. I simply chose candles for their color & smell. Now I really look at them. Yesterday at the candle factory, I caught myself checking out the placement & types of wicks, noticed all kinds of things like pitting, blisters, scratches...well you know.,.all the things that make us re-melt.