For the ones that use olive oil in their recipes

diamondk

The dumb question of the day. How do you fully color your soaps to get it the right color? I am trying for pink and I am ending up with a pink tint to the brown it looks like. I used ultramarine pink and that maybe the wrong choice. Would a red be most likely to come out a pink? I won't be able to take a pic till tomorrow when I take them out of the molds. My recipe consists of olive oil, pko and castor oil. TIA

If you want to use the baby powder fo - reserve some of your traced soap and add the fo to that portion of your soap and add some white ( I believe they call it titanium dioxide(sp)) - to it - mix well. Take your pink and swirl the majority of your soap or color it a solid pink then swirl the white scented mixture back into the saop. You still may get a brown tint depending on how much white you use.

I hope you can follow this - if not pm me and I will try to do better.

Its the olive oil thats making it hard to color. Your FO isnt discoloring the soap. I use that FO all the time:wink2:

Try either using the red as suggested or increase the amount of pink you are using. IF all else fails, You might have to switch to another recipe that calls for lighter oils.

The dumb question of the day. How do you fully color your soaps to get it the right color? I am trying for pink and I am ending up with a pink tint to the brown it looks like. I used ultramarine pink and that maybe the wrong choice. Would a red be most likely to come out a pink? I won't be able to take a pic till tomorrow when I take them out of the molds. My recipe consists of olive oil, pko and castor oil. TIA

What kind of olive oil did you use? I ask because darker olive oils will leave a more cream color than the lighter olive oils.

Olive oil comes in different grades :

- Extra Virgin & Virgin - Lightly pressing of the fruit - most desirable for cooking.

- Grade A - which is obtain by applying more pressure to the all ready "lightly" pressed fruit.

- Grade B - which is the next pressing from the remainder of grade A pressing

-Pomace - the last pressing of all other grades of oils (which of course includes the pits)

Each oil grade having a different reaction in the soap pot.

Virgin I know from experience will dis-color soap and take a longer time to trace.

Grades A and B are best suited in my opinion for soap making

Pomace often produces a darker soap and has a tendency to re-act with fo and

can cause a faster trace.

Having said all this – I use Grade A and B. I purchase mine from various places

but the majority of it I get a SAM’S Club – saves on shipping and easier access.

HTH.