Problem with the top surface

Does anyone ever have a problem with oil raising to the surface after using a hair dryer or heat gun for a smoother top? I had never had a problem until recently (wonder if it has to do with the weather conditions?). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

New to making candles, but been making Tarts for a little while.

I am finding that the humidity is killing me.:eek:

From what I have been reading, and some great advice I was given, Soy needs to be handled in very even atmosphere, like 73deg temps, little humidity, no breeze, etc...

I am sure that there are many experienced chandlers here that can answer this more definitively.

Renee:cheesy2:

Does anyone ever have a problem with oil raising to the surface after using a hair dryer or heat gun for a smoother top? I had never had a problem until recently (wonder if it has to do with the weather conditions?). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would say it has to do with a couple variables. Some oils are heavier and tend to pool, so I would suggest adding a universal additive, and take the time to really mix in the oils at a higher temp. It helps to bind the oils to the wax.

Secondly, yes, humidity can wreak havoc on your candlemaking, we have been having issues for a couple months due to the heat, maybe try making your candles in your/an air conditioned house and see if it helps. Our shop gets too humid in the summer, and I have to actually pour candles at my house during these two months. I usually try to stock up for the summer so we don't have to do too much pouring at home, but sometimes you can't second guess what will be a hot seller.

Jordan

Thanks for your response but I already make them in my air conditioned home. I do everything in my kitchen. I am wondering though if lavender and lilac could be heavier...I tend to measure instead of weigh (shame on me).

Thanks for your response but I already make them in my air conditioned home. I do everything in my kitchen. I am wondering though if lavender and lilac could be heavier...I tend to measure instead of weigh (shame on me).

that is the problem, gotta weigh those oils. The heavier oils weigh more, so if you are measuring them, you are adding wayyy to much.

Jordan